Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Re building 1988 X Flow De Dion

chris perry 1

Dear All,

I have been considering changing my 1600 vx classic for a new car. After looking at caterhams new prices the refurbishment route seems quiet appealing.

If i was to buy an old de dion x flow and then replace the engine with a brand new Duratec or Zetec what would i have to do with the DVLA?

After informing them of the engine change would i then be subject to the modern engine emissions standards? i.e. have to fit a catalyst and pay higher road tax?

Ive looked on blatchat but cant really find a definative answer.

If you have an old x flow de dion which need re building i might be interested i buying it!

Thanks for your help

Chris Perry

Xflows are exempt the emmision test due to the age of the engine, pre whatever, which doesn't count for a Zetec. You may also find a cat is needed for the MOT on the Zetec, someone will soon give you the full details.

Cheers John

JFDI

(Just F*****g Do It)

Am I not right in thinking that a pre-1998 (pre SVA) kit built car will only be subject to a visible smoke test irrespective of what engine you put in it 🤔

Sounds like a pre-1998 de-dion 1.4k or X-flow would be best for your purposes, the k benefitting from already having an injection fuel tank etc.

Jon

No, the emission test came in a lot earlier than the SVA, and it's based on the age of the engine, not the car. I had a 96, and a 2001 Xflow which both only required a visual test, due to the age of the engine.

Burtons cataloge have a page giving the year of the xflow engine using it's stamped number.

Cheers John

JFDI

(Just F*****g Do It)

• Support Team

New Cat is right - if the car was registered before August 1998 and was built from a kit then, for an MOT, the car is subject to a visible smoke test only.

If you have a car built after that date or a factory built car then the emissions test can be related to the engine if you have documentation that proves the engine was built earlier.

So, buy any pre-1998 kit built car and you can swap the engine for any other engine. You only need to tell DVLA of a capacity change and give them the new engine number - this does not affect emissions testing.

The easiest swap would be to buy a x-flow car and replace the engine with a Zetec as that requires the least work. If you are stripping the chassis and having new panels then you could have it altered for a Duratec install.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

So going back to the original question.

if you install a Zetec as offered at Raceline at the moment.

If you run it and want to meet the Emmission standard for an 98car could you do that with the following setup

Carbs or Injection

With Cat in exhaust

With lambda sensor etc

If Injection do you need to go closed loop on the ECU or can you do by managing basic parameters

Sorry for the basic level of question but I would be intereted to convert to Zetec and meet Emmisisons with no concerns.

1700ss BRG/Yellow Stripe the only way to cruise

Depending on how much money you have to throw at it, give Pete McEwan at Raceline a ring. They are experts in installing Zetecs to replace X-flows and use as much of the x-flow bits and pieces as possible. They also do a top job!

'Have you any idea what it's like to have the wind rushing through your hair!' (Quote:Sq Cdr the Lord Flashheart)

If the original car you propose to buy had a crossflow it will not need to pass any different test if you replace the engine with a zetec. You retain the same smoke test only criteria. That's what most people on here did when they replaced their XF.

On another note it would be worth costing up moving to a Duratec which offer far more options once you get tuning it. There are on costs but I suspect they're quite minor really in the scheme of things

2.0 zetec on TBs, head, new exhaust, MBE the list goes on

The problem I have is I am in France and the same rules do not apply. So I am looking for a way to get Emmission compliant while justifying the cost to myself as an upgrade.

At the same time I am investigating the not so straight forward routes to solve the problem.

PS "millsn" sorry to hi jack your thread

1700ss BRG/Yellow Stripe the only way to cruise

Shaun E,

Ok, i understand what you say. Sorry if this seems a bit of a 'thick' question. But,

If i get a pre Aug 1998 car and replace the engine with a brand new Zetec or Duratec would i need to fit a catalyst for the mot?

I assume i would not as the car is visual smoke test only.

Thanks,

Chris P

You will not need to fit a cat.

My car is 1990 DD 1700 super sprint now fitted with a Raceline Zetec, I made up my own engine number as the engine had not been allocated one by ford as they do this when fitting it to the car at the factory apparently.

I sent my V5 to DVLA with the new engine size and engine number, job done.

Engine install was easy, just needed to borrow an engine crane and buy some new tools.

FreeRange7

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2404840560089816983khvSRw