Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Speedo not working and other questions

MikeW

Sorry for the stupid questions ( and subsequent postings ) but I'm new to all this and have not really been under a bonnet for a long time.

Speedo stopped working today and it seems as if the cable at the back of the speedo is not engaged ie if I push the cable in the speedo starts working again but it doesn't say there. How do I fix it and is it a big job?

I would like to change the spacing of the pedals as the brake and clutch are quite close but the accelerator is further from the brake than I would like but already has quite a number of washers fitted. What do I do or is it a question of getting a slightly offset pedal.

I don't have a rev limiter fitted. It's a 1600 VX ( ex academy) What maximum revs is OK and would it be worth fitting one.

Thanks

Mike

The speedo cable on my car (1987, somewhat older than yours) just screws into the back of the speedo. Are you sure it has been screwed in all the way?

On my old car, the pedal spacing isn't adjustable but later pedal setups are different so I can't help you there.

Anthony

The speedo cable should have a threaded collar on it that screws onto the speedo to hold it in place. This has probably run down the cable towards where it comes through the bulkhead.

If you run without the cable conected the centre drive can come out of engagement with the drive from the gearbox - it can be fiddly to get this back and may need the bottom end disconnecting.

John