Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rev limiter for Xflow

Jonathan Ratty

After some enthusiastic runs on the 0-60 section at Brooklands on Saturday, I thought it might be a good idea to fit a rev limiter to protect the delicate parts of my (newish - '96) xflow engine. Can anyone recommend a good unit from experience, or are they all (Omex, MicroDynamics, Armtech etc.) much of a muchness?

Regards,

Jonathan

I too wanted to fit a rev limiter to my crossflow and purchased an Omex Speed System (rev-limiter & gearchange light).

From day one it played up and after lengthy discussion with Omex (very helpful guys) they decided my ingition system was not suitable for use with modern day micro electronics.

My engine is fitted with a Lucas Constant Energy Ignition System and apparantly this gives all sorts of problems to modern electronic devices.

So be warned and check the type of ignition fitted to your engine and get advice from the supplier before you buy a limiter.

I fitted an Armtech to my crossflow and it worked for about 40 miles. The engine would then fire but not run. This was why the bloody thing was stuck on the ramp at Portsmouth dock en route to Le Mans. Once the limiter had been disconnected then the engine fired and ran perfectly. My engine has a Lucas comp system and RK thinks that there in may lie the problem.

I know of at least two others who have had the same problem.

I've used an Omex Speed System with my x-flow and Lucas Motorsport ignition set up for 2 or 3 years without any problems. The light flickers on and off sometimes at idle, but otherwise both the light and limiter work perfectly. I know someone else with the same set up and no problems, so it's not the whole story. My box is on the cockpit side of the scuttle. I wonder if having it any closer to the ignition has a negative effect.

I'm the 'someone else' Simon mentions, with the same Omex speed system rev. limiter with integrated shiftlight and Lucas competition ignition. Mine seems to work well, too - same mounting position as Simon's, below the dash on the bulkhead, driver's side.

My shiftlight doesn't flicker however - well, not until 7,000rpm's anyway...

Pierson