Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Race Camera set-up

Z3MCJez

Thanks for sharing your first impressions Grubbster *thumbup*

Looking forward to seeing some footage *wink*

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away” Antoine de Saint Exupery

Flanders AO - l7C.flanders.ao@telenet.be

• Support Team

If you want to playback on a television then you really want a 520 line camera and either mini-DV camcorder or MPEG-2 (720x576) solid state recorder. For computer/internet playback only then 640x480 would be OK.

~£100 - all in one recorders such as the Oregon ones - OK for YouTube

£200-£300 - 640x480 solid state recorder + bullet cam - good for PC/internet

£600-£700 - 720x576 solid state recorder + bullet cam - DVD quality, good for TV

Just look at the packages on the DogCamSport website for easy to understand descriptions of the differences.

If you can find a camcorder at a decent price that has AV-in and LANC then that will be cheaper than an MPEG-2 solid state recorder. You can also save money by shopping around for the components of the kits shown e.g. use a cheaper clamp, forget the remote but you will then have a compomised set-up.

Edited by - Shaun_E on 9 Apr 2009 09:08:44

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update. I did some further research and eventually settled on a basic solid state system (I'm not looking for professional quality, just something to record my races).

I called "Fast Films" who answered "DogCamSport" 😬 any they sold me the "megaclamp kit" for the Mini DVR 1. Will get it all installed in the next week or so and let you view my misdemeanours when I've got some footage 😬

Thanks for everyone's comments / advice.

Jez

Build Photos

• 2 weeks later...

Further update. I've used the kit, and am reasonably happy with the quality (for what was a £250 all-in kit). Sample below:

Run1 at Curborough

Unfortunately, in one day, I've destroyed the TFT screen which makes using the menus as good as impossible. I don't even know how I did it *mad*

The camera still works, but I can't enable direct playback on tv/computer, as I don't know where in the menu system to look. At some point I'm going to change the settings by mistake, which is going to be awkward.

So, nice bit of kit, but be careful with the screen.

Jez

EDITED to put in linky

Build Photos

Edited by - Z3MCJez on 5 May 2009 14:28:46

I'm currently looking into the very same setups as mentioned in this thread.

From a post i read it seemed that the archos setup had slightly better quality (bitrate?) but i haven't found the info on the web to back it up.

I tried to see the quality of Grubsters video on his website but my PC didn't like it and it wouldn't play.

For those with the archos, can the unit play music, record video and sound at the same time?

I won't be racing with the setup, it is just for fun/recording blatting holidays etc...