Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rivnuts

Trevor Gilby

Hi Trevor, a rivnut is basically a nut that is locked in position by compressing a shoulder to lock the nut into place. I use them where access/space is poor and it makes for a more professional looking finish. Wurth now do a "riv bolt".

Richard

Sussex Swede R400

I think of them like rivets with a thread. You make a hole (e.g. in the bodywork) and pop the rivnut in with a special gun thing. The rivnut is a tube with a thread. Then you can screw a nut or screw into it and it's secure, without needing a nut at the other end.

Idea for rear wings which are either fiddly or difficult to get to the other side to put a nut on.

I just bought a rivnut gun from RS Components - they aren't cheap though!

• Support Team

I have the cheap CBS one and it works fine. However it's not that robust and if you squeeze too hard you could damage the threads on the tool. For occasional use it is great.

I wouldn't recommend using rivnuts to fit wing protectors as the protector will end up standing slightly proud of the wing allowing dirt and grit to get between the wing and protector. Normal rivets are the best way to secure wing protectors although I have seen them glued!

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

Edited by - Shaun_E on 1 Apr 2009 09:01:25

• Leadership Team

Small size rivnuts (eg. M3 or M4) should be fine for wing protectors. Normally ordinary rivets but there's really no reason why rivnuts would not do a good job and make the protectors more easily removeable/replaceable. The head of the rivnut will be absorbed in the compression of the rubber trim strip so will not be noticeable. With CF protectors I normally add a couple of small spacing washers between the protector and wing otherwise the protector is pulled "into" the trim strip compromising the fit. SS protectors are stiffer and don't need the washers.

Stu.

• Leadership Team

I've only fitted cf protectors with rivets ......... but I did use "mushroom" head set screws when replacing the rivets on a scuttle/bulkhead join with bolts/rivnuts. M4s are probably the ideal size, M3s are VERY small!

Stu.

Thanks one and all, and especially Stu, and Phil who emailed me. I particularly wanted to be able to remove the protectors. Stupid thing really, I want to get the whole car resprayed by TSK, but not now until the end of the wonderful spring and summer months we are about to get *cool*. I have had the Millwood wrap aroun protectors for around six months now and want to get them on the car sooner rather than later as the existing s/steels look a bit tired and the wrap around will hide a fair bit of rash on the existing wings for the time being. Just need Stu to explain a bit mor re spacers and positioning etc if you could email me direct it would be great

• Leadership Team

IIRC the Millwood protectors are shaped and quite a close fit - may be better to bond on (although that would cause problems removing!)?

YHM re: Caterham CF protectors *thumbup*

Stu.