Click here if you are having website access problems ×

touring intercom / headsets

dudley cramp

Hi Dudley (you should have received an email from me about Kent events etc recently - let me know if it didn't reach you *wink*).

Autocom or Starcom are the favourites, with Starcom Digital being regarded by some as the best at the moment.

I do quite a bit of 7 touring with various groups and agree entirely with the Sensorcom Microcom earsets in preference over the standard headset (that get ubcomfortable and sweaty on tours.

If you're after something cheap & cheerful then Lidl did an offer about 10 days ago on a two person intercom that was extremely cheap, but no idea how good it is (has anyone bought and tried one yet?).

I might know where there is one if you can't find any left in stores.

Ian - Slightly Vider SVelte model 😬

I have the Autocom set up which works well but agree that the standard ear defender headsets seem a bit OTT for most users. Like the look of the Sensorcom headset but presumably these would need rewiring for the Autocom plugs (and given the fairly complex looking plugs this would not be an easy task)

I was out playing with the Lidl set up over the weekend, bearing in mind this was £7 odd of kit, my expectatons weren't high.

I didn't like the over the ear headset, seemed a bit vague to me, so I purchased some cheap computer headsets with noise canceling mics, and some bits from Maplin to make up some adaptor leads, and the system works great.

Over 50mph the wind noise is excessive, but the headsets are a lot more comfortable than full ear defender types. I can also hear the Tom Tom (mine doesn't have an audio out, and I still have an awareness of other traffic noises.

I went this route (a) it was cheap and (b) I don't like the idea of the full ear defender / pitcrew headsets. (or the cost). If there was an alternative headset for Autocom or Starcom, I would consider that.

I'll be bringing it to Wightblat if anyone wants a play.

Rik

Roadsport SV 1.6 Sigma 150

in Viper Blue here

It can be a tad confusing/slightly removed but if you click here

..you can sign in (or sign up first) and then use the members area to see a whole load of items you didn't know existed! *thumbup*

Edit: I eventually found it under TecStar Intercom. I don't know if it's ok or not to put the details here so I'll not bother, but mail me if you want to know !

--=[Oxford7s.net]=--

Edited by - Rich N on 30 Mar 2009 11:12:53

I did 185 miles on road rally yesterday wearing the Autocom headsets and they worked very well, kept my ears warm BUT if you wear glasses then you may find like me that they push on the frames and hurt after a while.

I have also spoken to Sersorcom this morning to order a couple of pair of thier headsets and they tell me that they are going to put the Autocom compatable headsets on thier website to order in the next half hour.

Mal Stubbs

I bought my autocom system from chainspeed with two ear defender headsets but the headsets failed to work correctly as the background sound sensor was not fitted to the headset. I sent the who system off to autocom in the end who did a great job fitting the sensor and getting it al working correctly for no charge.

I would certainly suggest you call autocom direct and explain exactly what you want and they can set it all up for you. They will even fit it if you call round.

marchhare, Sensorcom used to have a specific page on their website with special pricing but it seems to have disappeared.

Original offer details are here but to get the pricing you'll need to call Richard Frankson at Sensorcom (ask him if he can reinstate the L7Club page on his site!).

Ian - Slightly Vider SVelte model 😬

Just ordered some Microcom 3's from Sensorcom

They knew all about the club

Was a bit worried as there is nothing listed in the members area

£60+vat per set fitted with the Autocom plugs - and with the 50% deal Autocom are doing at the moment it has got me a full system for a pair of helmets/Ear defenders and a pair for 'normal' use for under £240 - happy days

Even less people where expecting the Yorkshire Inquisition - By Eke!

Edited by - The Yorkshire Inquisition on 1 Apr 2009 16:40:38

Autocom is my flavour, but asyou are not that far from us and as I have two systems (one hard wired and the other battery powered) you are most welcome to come over and try the Autocom system out - just e-mail me direct (see profile).

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 230bhp Sausage delivery machine

I have an Autocom setup with defenders and have been very happy . . . makes long drives a pleaser on the ears *tongue*

The function of having phone conection and music can also be useful . . . you can even connect your GPS.

Agree with comments that they can get hot and interfere with glasses.

Learning new skills all the time, 10000 miles completed.