Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Datalogger/LCD Dash Bulk Discount Order.

gee_fin

The new MyChron 3 is out, it's the dog's danglies and sexier than Kylie.

Photo of dash at www.bookatrack.com/g2/gee_fin/1/640.821.mychron3.jpg

I've spoken with the UK importers and they will give us a discount on a bulk order so for less than £500 you could have -

- LCD dash display

- full datalogging (temps, pressures, rpm, speed, gear, wheelspin, etc. etc.)

- lap timing

- track mapping

- dual sequential shift lights

- over/under temp/pressure warning lights

- gear indicator

The gear indicator will work on any car - a software update is being released where you will input your gear ratios/final drive/tyre size and the unit will work out your gear on the fly meaning h-pattern users can have a gear indicator too.

The software is the same as the MyChron Pro, downloadable for free from their site with sample data available on ours (see links below). Very easy to use and very powerful. Basically the unit will do what a £2,000+ Stack will do and looks similar to the *cough*£2,000*cough* Motec ADL.

I'm looking for a show of hands to see how many people would be interested in one to get an idea of the kind of discount we can get.

UK site www.speedlog.co.uk/mychron3.asp

Official site www.aim-sportline.com/new/en/m3gb1.html

Feel free to drop me a line if after more info or to express an interest. I for one - WANT WANT WANT :D

Graeme.

graeme finlayson / tyre warmer / fluke motorsport

gee_fin@hotmail.com / www.fluke-motorsport.co.uk

Barbados Rally Carnival Experience

Edited by - gee_fin on 5 Jul 2002 11:33:19

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WANT WANT WANT... but not until I can afford it next year. sad.gif

However, I have one question which isn't meant to show up any deficiencies..but can it support external buttons?

Worcs L7 club joint AO

Membership No.id=red> 4379id=blue>

Hmm, not sure, it's not designed to. However, I've taken apart the previous one (MyChron Pro) before to do just this and it was a very simple affair to duplicate the internal connection and run a button to the steering wheel. I for one will be doing this with the new unit as the whole thing is going to be linked into the wheel/paddles/buttons/quick release thing I've got (photos below).

Top datalogger though, they've taken onboard everything everyone said about their previous units and made exactly what I've been after these last two years at a stunning price.

Development, pre-anodised, one paddle shots -

wheel1

wheel2

wheel3

Graeme.

It absolutely does appear to cover just about everything you could want from a unit and the price is amazing. I'd actually set about specifying what I'd want from an ECU, a dash and a datalogger just to see how they'd all link up. With the Emerald ECU and this, I reckon it's all pretty close to my "ideal".

It asppears to have all the inputs I need and although the web site doesn't mention external lights, you say it does drive them which is excellent too. The only thing I think it may be missing (for a road car) is an odo (legal requirement isn't it?) and a fuel gauge. This is where the Stack system may win I guess, unless I've missed that. The Motec system also allows you to place your readouts where you want them on the screen I think, but I think this is less of a concern as long as someone has already thought about where they should go up front.

I note that there is the ability to change views (there's a view button isn't there?). Does this just cycle what gauges are displayed in different locations? I've given this some thought and reckon that you'd only need 3 settings:

1. Road, displaying revs, speed, distance. The warning lights will let you know if something is out of tolerance. Shift lights are optional here I guess. Fuel gauge would be helpful. Gear indicator could be useful for a sequential box, but less of a concern to H box users.

2. Track, displaying revs, lap times, shift lights. Again, warning lights will show you out of tolerance events. Can't see that lateral indications will be of any use here but gear indicator for all box-types might be useful to remind you what gear you're in against what gear you should be in. Dunno...

3. Diagnostics, probably used only when stationary when you'd need to see the temperature and pressure events, although it could be used on the move in which case I'd say you'd need to view these and some/all of the "road" events too.

I've gotta have a look at one in the flesh.

Worcs L7 club joint AO

"the web site doesn't mention external lights, you say it does drive them"

Erm, I did? :-o It has two sets of sequential shift lights (they're the lights either side of the gear indicator). They're individually programmable, both increase to the centre and all flash at shift point.

The two lights to either side of the unit are high and low lights for two of the pressure/temp inputs.

"The only thing I think it may be missing (for a road car) is an odo (legal requirement isn't it?) and a fuel gauge."

Yep, it has an odometer on there. Can only be reset by re-installing the firmware. Fuel gauge is not currently supported, however, the two temp and two pressure inputs are basically just voltages, I see no reason why it wouldn't be possible to make a fuel sender for the unit. The inputs are completely configurable scaling wise.

"I note that there is the ability to change views (there's a view button isn't there?). Does this just cycle what gauges are displayed in different locations? I've given this some thought and reckon that you'd only need 3 settings:"

It will be similar to the MyChron Pro. You'll have a setting that displays all the standard outputs (revs, speed, distance, pressures/temps etc) and one for laptimes.

"Gear indicator could be useful for a sequential box, but less of a concern to H box users."

Very useful for seq boxes! :) But will work on any box, will look very nice on the old in-car video footage. Bear in mind that the default setup is software so it will calculate your gear. This would mean it lags very slightly on the shift (ie, as soon as you release the clutch it would register the next gear), however, it can be driven by a potentiometer should you want it instant.

"probably used only when stationary when you'd need to see the temperature and pressure events"

When stationary you can replay laps, view max mins etc.

"I've gotta have a look at one in the flesh."

Hope to have one on my car within a week, you're welcome to have a look and a play :)

"Oh, forgot. Love the wheel. Are you going to use a hydraulic shift change? If so, I guess there's another paddle on the way? "

Yep, it'll wait for the Busa though, it's currently in development. Will be two paddles, six buttons, all anodised black (or possible in carbon), Trying to design our own haydrualic actuators but it may end up just being the RaceLogic $$$s system.

Graeme.

sounds good but just a few questions will the price include the 'optional' backligh and as V7 SLR has said does it have an odometer function?

For those of us not racing could we get a discount on the reduced version as well, its the one with less memory and no 'G' sensor?

I'm pretty sure the car one is the only one with the odometer and the importer usually orders all the units with the backlight option as standard.

I will enquire on a bulk 'range' discount, would expect him to say yes smile.gif

Definitely interested if they will do the discount on the cheaper version

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>from the web price list>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

car

MyChron3 MyChron3 car Plus with RPM, wheel speed, 2 temperature inputs, 1 temperature sensor, 2 pressure inputs, gear number, IR lap marker and 512kB memory

£410.00

No, bugger that. for 500 squid I'll go for the whole sherbang... next year though.

Graeme, thanks for the offer to poke around at yours. I'd like to take you up on that one day. Cheers.

Worcs L7 club joint AO

"Would you like to see some dashboards" type thing? LOL

Can do, will try and get an mpeg of it installed as well for those that Maidenhead is too far. Or alternatively I'll drop in on the next Se7ens List meeting.

Hmm, difficult one really, I haven't seen that dash before.

From a brief browse the Custom Autotech one seems a little more 'industrial' and a lot less friendly. It seems to do most of the same things but isn't really as aesthetically pleasing or finished.

The software looks as though it's manually Excel based. The setup seems very manual and I would be interested in seeing if the £495+vat includes all the speed, temp, lap, gear, pressure and rpm sensors.

Not knocking it, looks like a great starting point but I'd rather go with the MyChron3.

Graeme.