Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K series... silicone hose question... & more

w7rren

*wavey*

My 2005 K has what seems to be quite common .... cracked rad hoses 😔.

I remember reading that the silicone hoses can be a bu%%er to seal. So should I replace rubber with rubber or go for silicone. I have seen the SFS set, SFS set are they comparable with thye more expensive Caterhams silicones ?

Also thinking of getting a bleed tee, does it matter which heater hose it is fitted to ?

Thanks

Mark

Born again sevener

1st LAMBO back in 1971 *eek* my fun motors

You want the bleed tee in the highest hose, or the hose you can lift to the highest position when required ... it doesn't matter which one.

Silicone hoses are tougher - but as long as the spigots are clean, and you use decent hose clips, will seal ok. Maybe a little bit of silicone grease smeared on the spigot to help the hose slide on.

Personally I prefer to use these type of clamps. They have a wider clamping surface, and there's no worm to strip.

And if you're into detailing your engine, they polish up really nice on the buffing wheel.

Clean the hose stubs before fitting your new hoses. I use a scotch pad. But you can use some fine emery cloth if they're bad.

I agree ECR. Best to support what is left of our British manufacturing. Thanks for the link to the site Mick.

Anyone considered using these? Tridon

First saw the like on my 1984 Golf GTI. Thought them a good idea as they continuously maintain a steady clamping load due to their design. The Birmingham car factory I worked in at the time had huge problems getting the right clamping load onto radiator hose clamps. Even when the screws were done up to specific and quite high torques they still leaked after the engines were started and warmed up until retorqued. The Tridon type clip is now far more commonplace. Fit once, no rework, no brainer decision.

The Tridon clamps may solve some of the issues people are having with newly installed silicone hoses needing to be retightened several times before they settle down and seal.

Peter

6SpeedManual *smokin*

*tongue*There's no such thing as too much BHP per Ton 😬

I've just replaced my old standard rad hoses with a set of new SFS silicon hoses and secured them with Mikalor clamps - it was a fairly straightforward and (so far) leakproof process. Just make sure you do the clamps up very tight (and tighten them a tad more after letting the engine get up to temperature for the first time after fitting). I was worried about sealing after reading some forum postings here... but had no problems at all.

Ref the Mikalor clamps, it's important you get the correct sizes, as there isn't that much adjustment travel on them (compared to say a jubilee clip).

On a related theme I may be selling a set of brand new silicon SFS hoses (five hoses in blue) soon. These are an extra set I have surplus to my requirements. Let me know if you are interested in buying them.

(The five hose SFS set, doesn't have heater hoses... but my car doesn't have a heater. I ended up buying a metre length of 16mm ID SFS silicon hose for the heater bypass hose I needed for my car)

1.6 K Series EU3, 2003, ex-SuperGrad car. now Orange/Black. My website here

Could I have first dib's on your set of five SFS hoses. Assuming they are for a k series 1600cc wet sump with apollo tank

Yes they are for a wet sump 1.6K.

I'll contact you over next few days ref details/price (busy with work at moment)