Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Blackbird Water Temp

Krismuss

I noticed sat in traffic on way home last week temperature rise steadily from mid 80s eventually up to 105c at which point I passed the roadworks and managed to get some air through the car and it dropped back down to 90ish.

Fan doesn't seem to cut in till at/over 100c.

On a 'spirited' drive this weekend it stayed around 90c though raised through to mid/high 90s as soon as I hit any traffic.

Are these normal temps or something to address?

Thanks

Chris

• Area Representative

Chris

If you are using the Blackbird fan switch then it does cut in around 102-105 degrees. Trouble is that once it gets to this it can continue to get hotter as the fan does not have the necessary power to cool it down quickly - well it did on mine. I have two Blackbird fans fitted and a lower temp cut in and now have no problems. It seems that if you ask different owners they all tell different stories wrt Blackbird cooling with some having no problems. I also recommend flushing your system through and replacing the rad cap just in case.

Nick

Lava Orange Caterham Blackbird *cool*

Chris,

I've not had any cooling problems since I changed my oil rad to a wider lower one as it was obstructing too much of the water rad.

I've got the standard BB water rad and fan and it's fine except on the very hottest track days, on full chat, when slipstreaming 😳

I've fitted a fan overide switch so I can get the fan on when I want it but even without this it seems to come on well below 100.

Temperature readings have been checked with an IR temp guage.

Matt

Life begins at 10,000 *cool*

Nick,

Exactly the same scenario on mine, 102-105 & fan cuts in. Most noticeable when I park the car up at home ant the temp rises and fan cuts in (provided I turn the ignition back on 😳). Will do with the flush & cap change!

Hi Darren,

I'm always checking thoses hoses 😬, yes they've stayed well clear of the fan. Did you ever sell the Fireblade?

Chris *smile*

Orange and Loud

Chris, ditto above, i have standard fan and radiator and i have done away with the thermo switch as it cuts in too late and just have a manual switch that i put on whenever in traffic . The standard thermo swith cuts in far too late 105 degrees and then the rad doesn't seem to have the capacity to cool down before the whole thing boils over. I switch mine on manually at about 85 degrees or whenever i go through towns etc.

Don't fuel injected Blackbirds have an ecu controlled electric fan cut in???

On trackdays i have to really cool it down by an extra slow warm down lap else it struggles to cool down enough on it's own .

Willy has a standard Caterham radiator on his with the oil cooler between it and the engine i think. He always gets over cooling!! *rolleyes* and the car runs at about 50 degrees!!.

Mine does give a few anxious moments when stuck in proper jams that are stationary. Eyes glued to the stack. I think it helps if you shout at the traffic as well ...." Come oooooooon , i'm gonna overheat!!!"

Neil

• Area Representative

ECU controlled fan depends on the year of your ECU. Post 2001 ECUs have ECU controlled fans, Lambda sensor. If you have a 1999/2000 Inj engine ECU then the fan is controlled by a fan switch on the side of the radiator.

Nick

Lava Orange Caterham Blackbird *cool*

Pretty sure my Blackbird had an ecu controlled fan (2001 car). IIRC it came on around 90deg. I used to worry if the temp went up to 95 deg. Only on a couple of occasions did it get to 100deg, that was middle of summer, scorching weather sat in jam on M6. Soon cooled once moving.

Tony