Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fuel tank leaking! (resolved)

Rich N

Me again..

Finished a load of other maintenance things tonight, went for a drive and noticed the fuel tank is now leaking! I could smell petrol for the last 2 days while I was working on the front..

Took the boot cover out and it seems to be seeping out somewhere on the drivers side end of the tank, almost certainly at the point where the support bracket meets the tank.. the foam strip has come away and I expect it's been rubbing.

I see a new tank is pricey.. do I have any options for repair? I found somebody who had used 'that' metal putty.. and somebody used POR-15 stuff.. but I guess I'm beyond that..

Any wise words would be well received..

...and, can I get the tank out without removing the FIA bar? I assume I just let the clamp off and it comes out, after I undo the pipe connectors...

--=[Oxford7s.net]=--

Edited by - Rich N on 26 Mar 2009 20:18:45

Rich, is it steel or ali? How big is the hole? Are we talking pinhole or bigger. If a pin hole then liquid metal stuff is OK. However I would remove the tank, clean the area thoroughly and apply the "glue" in a warm room and leave it on a raditor whilst it cures.

Ensure you have the corners of the frame and the straps well lagged with foam when you refit the tank.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven toThe French Blatting Company Limited

Often this is caused by the internal baffel moving and the spot welds cracking causing a small leak.

I fixed 2 of these with the 2 part putty and it lasted for years (until I replaced the tank).

Do it from the outside, no need to empty the tank, just get the level below the leak if you can. I even did one repair on a track day with the leak still leaking 😬

Matt

Life begins at 10,000 *cool*

Well, I've removed the tank from the car, drained the remaining 5L and rinsed a few times. I've left it with some warm water and detergent overnight. It'll be cold by now though *wavey*

I can see the split is along the seam (in a couple of places.. ) where the side and the base meet has what should be an L shape bent from the side panel, welded to the base of the tank but the L shape is not at a great angle against the base.

I'm probably going to have to putty the outside and maybe try some POR-15 on the inside. Or maybe just putty the outside along the seam. And the other side for good measure 😬

--=[Oxford7s.net]=--

^ ..it's wierd really.. several places are very very strongly against welding tanks that have been used, and some people seem to think nothing of it. I know nothing about welding, but I'm going to 'go to town'on the metal putty over several small applications.

It's nice and clean now anyway.. having no garage to work in, and needing to remove it from the car to see the damage, I had to clean it up so SWMBO doesn't notice and it doesn't flavour the house 😬

--=[Oxford7s.net]=--

Thanks to all those who offered advice. *thumbup*

I applied a couple of layers of 2 part epoxy 'metal putty' and allowed it all to dry for 24hrs. Tank went back on the car last night, and tonight I hooked it up, filled it with fresh fuel and went for a drive. All looking dry.

Interestingly, the tank had no 'sludge' or anything truly nasty in it, but I did find a couple of bits of left over splatter from when it was welded floating about. Plus the pump's attached filter had some metal filings, weld bits, and wierd 'black rubbery bits of sh*t' on it.. all nicely cleaned up. I've actually got half a can of the old fuel left, because I didn't fancy putting all the bits of crap I could see back into the tank!

Cheers again - particularly to Brian who helped me source some putty at 3 hours notice, who is now owed several beers and some computer help 😬

--=[Oxford7s.net]=--