Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Why does pedal-to-metal start a flooded engine? (usually)

anthony1956

Anthony. If you have "flooded" the engine then you have probably (assuming there's no other fault) pumped the throttle too much and pumped a lot of petrol into the cylinders.

By holding the throttle fully open and not pumping you will allow the excess petrol in the cylinders to be "flushed" out and fill the cylinders with cleaner air. As the air is sucked in to the cylinders it will "clean" the tips of the plugs and the spark will then not get "drowned" in petrol and the engine will start (fire)

Hope that's understanderble.

So, that over, how are you?

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven toThe French Blatting Company Limited

Correct, and I assumed Anthony's car had Webers but now I've read his other post I can tell him my explanation applies to cars with Webers (or other carbs with accelerator pumps which almost all except SU and som Strombergs)

But, it's the answer to his question.

Anthony, .9 may be too wide for the plugs. They should be ,028" (I think thats 0.7mm, but check it)

ed to add: 0.028 Inch(s) = 0.7112 Millimetre(s)

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven toThe French Blatting Company Limited

Edited by - nverona on 22 Mar 2009 17:09:45

aha! Thanks. Exactly what I needed to know :-)

No need to disconnect the furl line, just HTWO (HOLD THROTTLE WIDE OPEN) and the Emu (more fun than an ECU) will stop fuel flow and allow a dry clean as suggested by Norman .

I tried this yesterday until the battery choked. Now a bit concerned it's something else really.

My car is an R500 so it has whatever one of those has. I thought it was injection, but then it has great big throttle bodies which seem more carb like - I don't know. The car is too new for me to know much about it. I can't even start it! I'm sure I have forgotten more than I knew.

All's well thanks Norman! 😬

Anthony

Antony on your car DON'T touch the throttle on starting unless as Peter says you think you have flodded it [strong smell of petrol] The ECU maps and IACV are set up to automatically compensate for any temperature situation. By trying to move the accelerator you are in effect removing all those auto settings and Compensation sub maps and that is most likely why the car wont start. the other possibility is that a sensor which feeed vital info to the ECU has gone faulty In which case you will need professional help.

jabbing at throttle and trying to get car to fire up is making it almost impassible to start *nono*

That approach is ONLY far carbed cars and again only for those who know what to do with those engines' 😬

jj

N.I. L7C AR 🙆🏻

Membership No.3927.

240BHP 1900cc K Series 40th Anniversary

ok, so if she won't start it's a sensor problem (again). As far as I know that will be the accelerator sensor.. though if I am not touching the accelerator then what? I guess if it's ...aha, I'll check for ice. A spot of frozen moisture maybe (unlikely). I do wonder if I should remove the sensor for Winter storage.

Maybe she will start :-)

Anthony

edit: three sensnores? exhaust (gases?), water (heat), accelerator (fuel)

edit2: oh great, it's snowing again, 4 inches so far... maybe I'm just doing all this too soon. Howling gales all night, which is why I am awake at this hour. But even so, she should be startable even in the cold... ?

Edited by - anthonym on 24 Mar 2009 04:26:40

Edited by - anthonym on 24 Mar 2009 04:36:56

My car would not start because of a weak battery even after having it fully charged.

What I did is connected the battery to my tin top battery and then it started firts time.

This was after the winter layup which lasted nearly 2 years for me *redface*

Jack

Emily, The Very Yellow 21

Hi Jack, I'm using a fully charged new booster battery.

Hi Norman, it's not a practical proposition, she's buried in two metres of snow all Winter. *cool*

and besides, never a problem before, starts first or second turn usually.

Can't do my homework as it's still snowing..

Anthony

funny you should mention that. Moisture: we have humideifiers here, not dehumidifiers because our air is so dry. That's whay (I beleive) i don't usually have moisture type problems, nothing gets damp. Compare to Cheshire when I had endless moisture / corrosion problems from just one Winter there. In fact my 7 that is stored there has a dehumidifier running 24/7 for just this reason.

Having said all that I cannot help but to wonder. Maybe... in which case it has to dry out some more.

And hope that's not another throttle sensor.

Snowed every day since so bit stuffed for the time being really.

Sun bathing... we can do that on the slopes sometimes *cool*

Anthony

opposite side of engine from Starter in a holder at back of block down near sump line reading teeth on flywheel

sometimes gets wet and can be dried with hot air gun, also check lead from it doesn't go anywhere near HT Lead

jj

N.I. L7C AR 🙆🏻

Membership No.3927.

240BHP 1900cc K Series 40th Anniversary

TPS on spindle of throttle bodies

Crank rear of block at flywheel

Water in Club Foot

Air temp in filter housing [depending on your config]

Then theres IACV stepper motor in Plenum

Not sure on yours but some have MAP sensor

and Some [mine] BARO

There are others but they don't feed ECU so won't affect Starting or running