Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Half door popper base

Piers7

I have two "pull the dot" poppers on each side of my car to attach the leading edge of the half doors. The bottom popper base on the driver's side has come adrift from the side skin a couple of times, and due to refitting of the base twice now, the hole in the side skin has increased in size to the point i cannot get a secure attachment, it keeps popping out. The next size up of rivet, that i can find, is too big and therefore is not an option. Any suggestions much appreciated on how to secure the popper base securely once and for all , as it's really starting to p*** me off *mad*

Thanks

Piers

Superlight #115

• Area Representative

A recent little tip I heard which is very useful is to put a popper in the hole as usual and then to drill the head off and gently drill through the remainder of the popper base. This will leave a "sleeve" inside the original hole and its reduced down the size of the hole for the usual 4mm rivet to fit. It works a treat! *biggrin*

Failing, if you can access the rear of the popper, use a rivet washer on the rear when you put a new popper on and this will work fine

HTH

Nick

Back in a BEC! - But trying to get into Class 1...

• 3 months later...

Resurecting this

I was looking to order some peel rivets and some ordinary rivets from e-bay

This would be to attach a couple of popper bases that have worked loose from the scuttle and to add some new poppers for the front lower tonneau popper.

I dont have a popper base with me - is it 4mm?

N