Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Oil pressure gauge snaps to max

peterpi

Hi everyone,

My oil pressure gauge has just started to snap straight over to the maximum value. I think it's just something electrical, for the following reasons:

1) It happens as soon as turn the ignition key (i.e. before the engine has even started)

2) With the engine running, the needle occasionally drops a tiny bit and then jumps back to the max. It does it ever so quickly; maybe a quarter of a second or less. The jittery way it does it makes me feel like there's an electrical contact that is just failing, and then coming on, and then back off again.

I had a look on the internet to try and find out what the oil pressure sensor looks like (which I managed), but I can't find anything in the engine bay that looks similar.

This is on a K series 1.6, whatever year a T-reg is.

I've taken a few photos, which are here. My best guess is the green thing on the fourth photo, which is also just visible on the left hand side of the first photo.

However, I'm certainly wrong, so I don't want to bugger anything up further.

Can anybody give me an opinion? I'm a mechanical numpty so I'd be ever so chuffed if I fixed it myself :)

Normally, the oil pressure sender is screwed into the side of the oil filter housing (towards the front of the car - see it when looking under the nosecone from the front. It has a single wire to it. You can check the gauge by removing the wire off the sender, and grounding it on something on the engine with the ignition on. It should go to full scale. Sounds like the usual poor quality electrical sender ? If this is the case, you can buy a mechanical gauge with capillary feed tube for little more than the price of the CC Caerbont sender. Contact 7ERRY, or send me a blatmail if interested.

I have a sigma car & the oil pressure & temp gauges have always done just what yours does from new. I would assume it's the way the electronics work & the gauges otherwise seem accurate.

In the longer term if i have any grief with oil pressure senders etc I may do what SM25T has done & fit a manual gauge which is simpler & you can "trust" the reading.

Martin *thumbup*

It could be a damaged wire from the oil pressure sender that's grounding against the chassis or some part of the engine.

Before you replace the oil pressure sender, try disconnecting the wire and see if the gauge drops to 0. If it stays high then it's likely to be the wire which could be damaged anywhere along its length from chafing.

cheers,

Darren.

I never had correct readings, but then mine started flickering. Just do the decent thing and get yourself a mechanical set up as the electrical ones are useless.

Oil pressure gauage 100psi (OPG100), Gauge line 7ft 1/8BSPx1/8BSP (GL7) ,Steel M/M 1/8BSP x 1/8BSP (MMS3-3-3), TFE hose -3 (TFE3), Steel M/M 1/8 BSP x M12x1.5 (MMS5-3-45).

Product codes are in brackets, I paid £48.92 with a club discount from Think.

Please note the above is without the T piece so just a swap to MOPG from EOPG.

Here is a link of how to install it.

BRG and Yellow nose now with added brooklands