Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Caterham 21

6speedmanual

6speed - it is the same car - refer to the top-posting on Page 3 of your link - it confirms the reg.

So, either a *lot* of work has been done - or (reading the ebay ad), it's been slapped over with a bit of hammerite to hide the worst.

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Ecosse™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

• Area Representative

As Myles says.

However, I concur with his implicit opinion.

I will alert the 21s list and I will ask questions via Ebay.

Paul Jacobs gave an update about this car to the list or here after the man from Taunton bought it (after the E-Bay sale had been pulled).

I am just off to see if I can find the old E-Bay link (back soon)

Democratic dissent is not disloyalty, it is a positive civic duty.

Edited by - Golf Juliet Tango on 21 Mar 2009 18:15:31

• Area Representative
This listing (190258465860) has been removed or is no longer available.

This is our discussion at the time here

Edited by - Golf Juliet Tango on 23 Mar 2009 11:22:47

Edited by - Golf Juliet Tango on 23 Mar 2009 15:51:03

It's the same car alright. What a difference, it looks like new now, but the rusted chassis tubes just can't have been replaced, there was rust everywhere underneath. I took some pictures of it at the time, but can't find them on my home computer, I might have downloaded them onto my office PC.

it'll be worth keeping an eye on this one, mainly because the car doesn't appear to be fully described, or perhaps to be more charitable, not what a purchaser might expect a 1200 mile pampered car to be?

I hope those bidding know what to look for?

Paul J.

My CSR now back with it's new and remapped Omex ECU - Hooray no more kangarooing :-))

• Area Representative

From the vendor:

Firstly I asked:

My concern is regarding what "restoration" has been done because at that time it was clear that the car had spent time with water filling the footwells.

response

the condition of the car was grossly misleading due to the fact the vendor had been given free, yes FREE the car two weeks earlier by the registered keeper, both who obviously know nothing about cars.2 hoses,2drive shaft boots and an MOT IS ALL THAT HAS BEEN SPENT ON THIS CAR !!The rest has just been hours of hard graft and spit & polish.It was bought to keep but upon driving to the MOT I realised it most definately is not for a 64 yr. old.

and subsequently

am trying to establish the full and true condition of the chassis of this car, so that I can give helpful information to the people known to be looking for a 21. Reports vary and others have seen the car.

response

As indicated in my description of course it would have been better to take off the body and have the chassis refurbed and re powder coated, however at the gReat risk of sounding pompous I do own a 2003 aston v12 vantage with peeling powder coating problems. Everyone that I have spoken too say the same this type of cover on a chassis very often does not hold up. I GIVE YOU MY WORD that no welding was done or needed to be on the framework ,just wire brush, emery paper and time was all that was required to obtain an MOT. From the E-mails I am receiving it does already seem likely it will go into storage with a private collector any way

I GIVE YOU MY WORD that no welding was done or needed to be on the framework ,just wire brush, emery paper and time was all that was required to obtain an MOT.

If no welding is required tarting the chassis up is not required for MOT, they aren't interested in how pretty it looks just whether it is structurally sound *confused*

Also, just because his 2003 Aston's peeling powdercoat it doesn't mean to say it should be ignord on this 21 - two wrongs don't make a right *thumbdown*

========================================

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

Edited by - Nifty on 24 Mar 2009 12:21:39

• Area Representative

Latest from the Vendor

Q: Hi, Is the engine a rover K16 16 valve? Thanks Paul. 24-Mar-09

A: Hello Paul. Yes it is but fitted with a special Caterham copper head gasket so I've been told Thank you for your interest.

*confused*Copper Head Gasket?

I asked if it was the same 21 as previously advertised... I was somewhat confused by his reply, but it sounded like a very expensive boiler service to me....

Certainly is, BUT IN NO WAY AS BAD AS WAS MADE TO SOUND THEN. It was given to the oil boiler service man free by the millionaire owner in exchange for his boiler service,It was put on E-BAY two weeks later. All that has been spent is the price of two radiator hoses , two drive shaft rubber CV boots and the cost of the MOT. the rest has only been a monumental amount of elbow grease and time. No welding of any kind was neccessary but admittedly the tubular chassis would look better powder coated than touched in with hammerite especially with this milEage but looks no different than probably 90% of any other 11year old caterhams. HOPE THIS HELPS.

J

The history on it is genuine. The chap who now has the car has worked for the former owner of it for YEARS and spent many visits talking about the 21 and having a go that the rich owner didn't finish it quick enough/take it out often enough.

In recent years, it took to being left outside without a cover on (and even the roof open on occasions) and started to be properly neglected.

When the current owner saw the previous most recently he bemoaned the neglect of the car and has been donated it as part of a "deal" with the previous wealthy owner.

When he got the car, it was in a bit of a cosmetic state - lots of peeling away powdercoat and the interior really needed a clean up as it was thoroughly damp.

It then changed hands to someone who has now done some restoration on the car (as noted by Paul below).

He is aware of the current value of 21's that have been well looked after and I suspect is reserve is set accordingly. To be fair, it looks like he's spent a lot of time and elbow grease fixing the problems with the car, so I can't fault his hard work. What the underlying car is like, time will tell - I'm hoping that GJT can go and look at the car for me (or maybe paul again) and that it goes to a really good home and someone who can restore the car as thoroughly as I have with my own.

Edited by - Dave21P on 30 Mar 2009 15:54:05