Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

turn indicators cross-wired

BBL

New Seven build, great fun, but when the turn indicator switch is pushed to the right, The right rear and the left front turn indicator lights blink, and when pushed to the left, LR and RF blink. I assume this has happened before, and that someone here might know the path of least resistance for correcting the situation.

Thanks in advance! *wavey*

*smile* Sean

Sean

was the same on mine too ☹️ I opened up the loom just before the first group of light wires came out the loom at the front and reconnected the two pairs the other way around. You will just need to turn the switch around then.

Not sure if there is a more easy way though *confused*

Mine was a K series loom.

Jason

*arrowup* *arrowup* *arrowup* *thumbup*

Do what he says-rotate the switch 180 degrees.

My indicators were fine,then someone kindly told me I was indicating left,but turning right! Sure enough, the toggle switch was loose & had turned 180 degrees.

Turning the switch back sorted it - instant repair!

I had to read it again as that's what I thought.

If the looms is the same as mine was you can switch the indicator wires over at the multiplug by the off side (RH) headlamp. Both wires come down the loom on the right hand side. Then, at the multiplug one wire goes to the right hand pod and the other wire goes across the "X" frame to the left hand. These wires may be pairs as on the older loom the wires for the rear went all the way to the front then all the way back to the rear.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven toThe French Blatting Company Limited

If the looms is the same as mine was you can switch the indicator wires over at the multiplug by the off side (RH) headlamp. Both wires come down the loom on the right hand side. Then, at the multiplug one wire goes to the right hand pod and the other wire goes across the "X" frame to the left hand. These wires may be pairs as on the older loom the wires for the rear went all the way to the front then all the way back to the rear.

Thats not the case on my loom. The L/H side light wires are not connected to the R/H connector at all.

Jason

I guess it depends which side of the engine the loom goes which in turn denotes which light set gets the first or second connector. So if Seans loom was on the other side of the engine then it would be working perfectly assuming the switch was turned around.

Jason

Jason - you could have hit the nail on the head there. A RHD wiring loom on a LHD car

Anyway - my input to this question - I would think that the easiest place to get at / see the wires for the indicators in at/around the multiplug connector that Norman mentions.

So even if the terminals are not switchable in the plug then this is the area where I would cut / reconnect the two wires to cross-over teh logic at the front of the car.

If you do the swapping at the front you won't even have to turn the switch thru 90degrees 😬

Hi,

This happened on my build. Was a bit confusing, I thought I could swap the front loom 'legs' over but then the sub loom for the washer pump would be out of place. I raised this with CC, who said to leave it to them. Lo and behold, the washer bottle had mysteriously swapped sides!

My advice would be to raise with CC, and if you're not confident about doing it yourself, let them fix it at the PBC. They will be more than happy to I'm sure, as they were for me.

John

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 (Back on the road!!! 😬)

Talloulah: '08 1.6K Classic (Grubby )

Thanks all. Consensus seems to be the multi-plug is the place to start. Or, since the rears are okay but the fronts are working opposite, maybe I should just rotate the switch ninety degrees? *smile*

I thought a bit about how to best word the situation before posting, believe me, but it is just one of those situations that is difficult to phrase concisely yet definitively!

John - CC is just too far to drive from here safely without the use of turn indicators. *smile* Seriously though, I only wish I could do just that.

*smile* Sean

Edited by - BBL on 18 Mar 2009 04:38:27

I can't see how changing wires on the multi connector will help things at all because the only wires that go into each one are the wires for the lights on that side. So you will have to cut into the loom, locate the four wires, cut them and reconnect them the other way round and then rotate the switch 180 deg. Job done.

Jason

I can see how the loom would have been intended to be run up the right side frame rail under the intake, but was instead run up the left side frame rail to be under the intake on my Duratec car, so the first indicator light along the wire, which was intended to be on the right side of the car, is instead on the left, and so on. Or not. Regardless, it is either wired wrong and I need to make it right, or it is wired right and I need to make it wrong. *tongue*

Thanks again for all the helpful replies. I still don't see how rotating the switch will help, though. *confused*

*smile* Sean

Edited by - BBL on 18 Mar 2009 15:10:03

You are right in what you have decided, rotating the switch will not rectify the probem, reversing the switch, will just reverse the way the lights are presently working, not cure the fault.

Cheers John

JFDI

(Just F*****g Do It)