Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Jacking at the cruciform - right or lucky?

RichardUSA

I've been jacking the front of the car from the center of the cruciform (as noted in 7FAQ and as my importer advised). I think this is correct and never had any problems although I've always been a bit uncomfortable with this unbraced/supported location.

I just happened across a 2005 article in LF that noted to jack from the area of the motor mounts and not the center of unbraced members. *confused* Raising at the motor mount area torques the frame but is obviously a braced location.

So does everyone lift from the cruciform center or have I just been lucky. Has anyone ever bent the tube lifting their car? *eek*

BASIC TECH INFO: 2004/9,000 mile Cat w/Zetec SVT, widetrack, DeDion, 5 spd/3.62, 15-CR500's

Jacking at the centre of the cruciform can cause the welds at the corners of the X.

I always jack the front on the towing eye at the edge of the cruciform. Then put both lower wishbones on axle stands to avoid any chassis twisting.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven toThe French Blatting Company Limited

I think that jacking at the cruciform is fine, but I've always taken the precaution of placing a section of timber [ a bit of 4" x 2" x about a foot long] between the jack head and the tubes to spread the load and save the paint/metal being damaged.

Paul J.

Waiting to get my CSR back with it's new and remapped Omex ECU

If CC tell you to jack at the crux, then the crux subsequently fails because of said jacking, will CC then accept liability?

I jack at the crux, that's what the manual says. I put something between the jack and the metal (usually carpet) but that's about it.

On the 2cv, I stick it under the sump plug and lift away 😬

Edited to add that it's because my chassis is untrustworthy when it comes to staying in one piece... 😬

John

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 (Back on the road!!! 😬)

Talloulah: '08 1.6K Classic (Grubby )

Edited by - myothercarsa2cv on 16 Mar 2009 17:13:37

Richard who used to run Seba racing told me never to jack the car on the Cruciform as it broke the welds. I use a piece of wood on the jack that lifts the car at the two front wishbone mounting points and then use the axle stand as described.

Nick h

Fuel your Addiction here

Well kids...........funny how the simplest questions aren't. *confused*I guess I will form a wood brace of some sort to help distribute the load better. Maybe a low clearance jack is on the Christmas list also.

I had tried jacking at the sides and at the tow hook but this seemed to induce a painful torque in the chassis. Never saw much deflection in my chassis when jacking on the cruciform but the architect in me says it doesn't feel right regardless of what I've read or been told.

The best idea I heard is that Bruce at Arch or Caterham could pipe in with a definitive *thumbup* or *thumbdown* on the cruciform or other. Anyone have pull with them for an 'unbiased' and final answer.

All responses were appreciated. 😶‍🌫️

BASIC TECH INFO: 2004/9,000 mile Cat w/Zetec SVT, widetrack, DeDion, 5 spd/3.62, 15-CR500's

I've always jacked from the cruciform, with some protecting cardboard (to protect paint, not to spread load). However, as I've just ordered some expanding foam, I was thinking that I might be able to make a fitting that sits nicely around the cruciform and into the bowl on my trolley jack.

Now I'm not sure that I'm even jacking in the right place! *confused*

Jez

Build Photos