Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

porous alloy wheel

Dr M Cook

I have just purchased a nice little 1996 supersport from Caterham Cars. They have been excellent.

However I had a minor problem from day 1 with a mystrious loss of about 2 psi per day from one wheel/ avon tyre. No puncture could be found . There was no leak from the beading joint but we did find a minute hole in the alloy almost in the middle ie no where near a joint or apparent stress point. The wheel is a Two gates variety like the old Minilite.. Caterham tell me they are obsolete but will solve the problem aand may be able to weld it for me. Alternatively it is a new wheel but is an odd wheel suitable only for the spare. I trust them. Anyone else had porous wheels like this and what do you do

I had a similar problem on the tin top, pressure would drop from 32psi to 20 psi over the space of a week, and my local tyre man resorted to liquid tyre repair sealant after all else had failed. That was 2 years ago, and the tyres have been replaced since with no further problems.smile.gif

Deeps smile.gif

Deep down you know it makes sense.idea.gif

I had a very wierd one a couple of weeks ago. I lost 16psi (as in down to 4psi from 20psi) in 1 hour and yet I could not find a leak or puncture. The only thing that I had changed that day was the valve cap from plastic to one of Caterham's Silver things. Changing back seems to have cured the problem.

I still don't know why the valve cap could cause a leak!The scary thing is that I didn't notice it till I got home after a blat!!!!

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

Graham

Had the same problem on my 355 once with the chromed caps, found that after tightening the small o-ring that is in the cap had come out of it's groove and wedged the valve open, probably caused by being overtight

Mark

Had exactly this problem with my new kit (new in 1999, that is). When I came to fit the wheels (14" KN Minators), I noticed that one tyre was completely flat. Took it to ATS, who eventually found a pinhole in the alloy. Caterham exchanged the wheel and tyre under warranty, but I was left wondering why someone at the factory hadn't checked the pressures when assembling/loading the kit in the first place.

JV