Click here if you are having website access problems ×

The Petty Strut Bar..........Where do you drill the Hole???

BWJ777

Ok got the FIA bar in!

Need to fix the bottom half of the petty strut to cock pit

But the 'nut / thread' is hidden behind the Aluminium sheet riveted on

(Outside top of passenger foot well)

So can any one measure exactly where I need to drill to find this nut behind the facia

1)Start with vertical the distance below the horizontal top of the chrome thingy you rest your arm on

2)Then the horzontal distance from the ‘fold’ as the the foot well comes in (I assume the hole needs to be in front of this? Or is it on the bend)

It’s a 1998 K series SS

This is so I don’t cock it up and have 5 holes there.

Please hurry must drill tomorrow (Oulton on Friday)

Bruce id=purple> , Self Drive ROLLER COASTER id=purple> Owner cool.gif R300 FUN id=purple>

I've a '97 K and the center of the hole is 35mm down from the top of the sill. If you imagine a vertical line down from where the dash meets the sill that is the center on the horizontal axis.

This of course does not mean that yours would be in the same place, I would be tempted to remove the rivits/screws in this area and check before drilling, I would imagine your can see the fixing point in the chassis quite easily as it is very near the top of the panel.

Andy

The assembly guide says the bush can be found approximately one inch below the point at which the dashboard tube is welded to the top of the chassis rail. Drill out the six rivets holding the top edge of the trim panel around this point and ease the panel away from the chassis. Its in there somewhere

I mounted the top end of the strut in the FIA bar, and then put a small pencil through the hole at the other end, then moved the bar up and down slightly scribing a small arc on the inside of the body. I then removed the bar measured straight down 30 mm to where it crossed the pencilled arc and driled a very small hole at that point. I hit the bush first time, but may have been lucky.

thought I would do above

BUT the petty strut is variable length , i.e, slides within its self?

(so a to fix easily, after drilling)

So How do I draw my arc if the length changes?

No Rivet gun, may need to buy one soon

Bruce id=purple> , Self Drive ROLLER COASTER id=purple> Owner cool.gif R300 FUN id=purple>

Find the approx location of the threaded hole under the alloy skin then with a SMALL ball pain hammer tap the alloy if you have found the hole it will dish into the hole like a thumb print tap around the edge of the hole to confirm the position then drill the hole this all asumes the steel bobbin is level with the alloy skin.

Or drill a 2mm hole and thread a thin peice of wire through and feel for the thread in the bobbin and redrill if not in the center of the bobbin care full that you do not let the drill snatch and drill the thread out of the bobbin as the hole you need to drill will be bigger then the bolt therefore bigger than the hole in the bobbin.

Paul.

See My Car Here

The hole on my 1999 de Dion is about 31mm down and 5mm aft of the point where the dash chassis member rises from the horizontal. I drilled out some of the top row of rivets fixing the trim panel, and then peeped inside to locate the hole. Having opened up a hole in the trim, however, I then found that the threaded hole was full of rust, and I had to clean it out with a thread tap (7/16" UNF, IIRC).

JV