Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Lost all oil - what to do? - Rattle cause identified!

ric355

K series Supersport.

Having done some mods recently I took the car out today for a second test run. I'd managed about 7 miles when I spotted the oil pressure was in the red and the engine was a bit noiser. Turned off immediately and whatever oil was left ended up in the gutter.

On closer inspection, the oil pipe which runs from the bottom of the dry sump tank to oil inlet in the sump had been rubbing on the road so there's a 2inch hole in it. I've no idea how long I ran with no oil pressure (it was definitely ok when I set off because I checked it). It was sitting in the red section when I noticed it.

So should I just fill it with oil, replace the pipe (and route it properly!) and see what happens, or does it need to come out for a rebuild?

Feel like setting fire to it to be honest! *mad*

Edited by - ric355 on 11 Apr 2009 12:59:48

I'm very afraid it's F***ed my friend

No other solution but an engine out and rebuild. *confused*

With luck you'll only have done the shells and the crank will be ok

But no option other than a complete strip and rebuild.

jj

N.I. L7C AR 🙆🏻

Membership No.3927.

240BHP 1900cc K Series 40th Anniversary

The truth is you cannot possibly know if the bearings are rogered or not, but the consequences of not inspecting the engine when the bearings are defunct are too horrible to contemplate and you could easily spit a rod out of the side of the block.

Take JJ's advice and have the engine stripped and inspected..

Oily

Edited by - oilyhands on 14 Mar 2009 15:46:46

• 4 weeks later...

Some of you will remember this posting from a few weeks ago. Since then I've pulled the engine, had it rebuilt (damage was minimal luckily) and put it all back together. Initially I had low oil pressure so switched to a mechanical gauge to confirm and ultimately ended up removing, cleaning and refitting the oil pressure relief valve which seemed to be stuck open. This gave me good pressure again.

Now it's back together it's making a strange noise and I can't identify it. It seems to be coming from the front of the engine somewhere near the oil pump although it's quite hard to pinpoint.

Video Here

To view it you'll need the xvid codec and it's a 60mb file so be warned if you're on a slow link! In the video the car is started from cold hence no water temperature in case you're wondering.

Alternatively there's a very low quality wmv file Here

If anyone has any suggestions about the cause of the noise, I'd love to hear them. I found a posting in the archives suggesting that a rapidly opening and closing relief valve can make a nasty noise. Apart from having to take the oil pump off to get to it, it's the only thing that has changed since I ran it up after the rebuild. As far as I can recall it didn't make that noise before I removed and cleaned the relief valve.

Edited by - ric355 on 9 Apr 2009 08:58:03

Noises from a K series:

Something loose:

Plug lead cover

Spark plug

Exhaust collector

Alternator belt

Starter motor

Loose exhaust header

Check all fixings on engine

Loose scavenge pump belt system. Failed bearing in pump pulley?

However I'd be tempted to remove the cam belt cover & check the belt run & that everything is tight including the crank pulley, cam wheels etc.

Was it a new water pump? To be honest I don't know what a failing one would sound like.

Take off the cam cover as well & check torque of all cam ladder fixings: 7ft/lbs I think.

Get length of wood, place to your ear & use it like a stethascope to listen to various things.

I had an odd noise from my engine I couldn't pin down until in France it turned into a horrendous noise. Car recovererd to the UK & one of the throttle body butterfly screws had decided to take an outing into no 1 cylinder. For most of the time it just rattled around until it got caught between piston & valve, then all hell broke loose noise wise. Bent 2 valves in the process.

it almost sounds like something touching the cam belt teeth. On the wmv it sounds like a buzz rather than a rattle, and it increases in pitch with revs.

I'd say it was something touch one of the moving components at the front, either a cam pulley, belt - dunno what else as I don't have a K engine.

let us know what you find. By the way. what damage was done by your oil loss?

best of luck

Paul

I've looked externally and can't find anything rubbing but will keep looking. I took off the timing belt cover but couldn't see anything - although can only get the top part off without removing the cam pulley. What's odd is that it only kicks in with greater than idle revs. If something were physcially catching I would have expected it to happen at idle too.

Damage was just to big end bearings - three of four were scored. Oddly the one furthest away from the oil pump was noticeably undamaged by comparison with the others. Will take a pic of them later and post up. There was no blueing so I got away with minimal damage by the look of it (assuming this problem isn't also a symptom of the same failure!)

I'm going to nip down to machine mart tomorrow and buy a mechanics stethoscope to help locate the noise. They're only about £7 so worth it if it helps track it down.

Edit: But first I'm going to check the plug lead cover coz I haven't done that yet!

Edited by - ric355 on 9 Apr 2009 13:31:45

ric,

It could be the scavenge pump. Can you find a way to spin it up alone?

In fact, if it has been running completely dry for a while it could well be damaged too.

/regin

Edited by - RJ on 9 Apr 2009 13:49:44

It's a purple pump so the belt is a vee groove rather than toothed. New belt installed, and new alternator belt as well.

I've had a screwdriver to my ear with the tip on the scavenge pump and it doesn't appear to be coming from there.

It's maybe hard to tell from the video but it's actually a high frequency on-off-on type noise. I likenened it earlier to the a piece of card through bicycle wheel spokes only more intense (for those of you that are old enough!).

Thanks for all the input so far - a few things to look at.

Cagey I replaced the CRB while the engine was out. I also put a lightweight flywheel in at the same time and a new clutch plate. Clutch operates OK. Oh, and a 6 speed gearbox.

Poking around a bit more tonight with a screwdriver against my ear, I detect the noise more loudly at the point from the side of the block just below the thermostat. Water pump? Thought it was the oil pump earlier but I realize now that is lower down.

Edited by - ric355 on 9 Apr 2009 20:35:38

I've changed the water pump this morning as I thought that might have been it and the only way to check the bearings seemed to be to remove it. It's back together now and it still makes the same noise. Only 28 quid and a bit of my time so not a big deal.

Having listened in various other places with my ear on the end of a screwdriver, I'm now back where I started and am more sure than ever that it's the oil pressure relief valve. If I put the tip of the screwdriver on the plug which holds the valve in place then it's very pronounced.

Once it was back together I let the car warm up - not got an oil temp gauge but based on the idle pressure of 45-50psi hot, the noise doesn't kick in until the pressure reaches about 60psi when I rev it. I need to rev it higher when hot to make it happen than when cold where it basically happens from anything but idle rpm.

Is my understanding of the way the relief valve works correct? There's a spring which is compressed by the small piston when the oil pressure increases. As the piston moves, a new path opens up because oil can flow through the holes in the end of the piston, which in turn allows the pressure to drop again. This causes the piston to move back under the tension of the spring. At this point the oil pressure is no longer relieved so if high enough the piston will move again and the cycle starts over. Since this is a mechanical process there's no smoothing and so the valve will repeatedly open and close if the oil pressure is at the point where the valve will open and there are no other means by which the pressure can be reduced.

So if that is all correct, then I've either got:

- a relief valve that opens too soon (spring weakened?)

- too high oil pressure in the first place

- or it's still nothing to do with the relief valve at all !

Under normal operation, is the relief valve expected to open or is it supposed to be normally closed and sit there as a safety net?

I would go for a weakened spring.

Sounds like the noise could be explained by the oil pressure relief valve theory.

If the valve is cycling quickly enough, it will give you the noise you describe.

I have found this noise on a recent test of a valve assembly, where the valve was oscillating at a high frequency.

Only dead fish go with the flow....!

is the relief valve expected to open or is it supposed to be normally closed and sit there as a safety net?

I think the hint is in the name of the valve... *tongue* *wink*

But - hang on a minute - why would the valve be affected by the loss of oil from the original problem? Isn't the problem more likely to relate to the pump itself (e.g. bearings-shot - vibration caused at revs, valve goes into resonance...???)

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Ecosse™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com