Click here if you are having website access problems ×

A busy week ahead....

CageyH

Kev, let me know about the DRIRE. I know I'll never get mine passed but interested to know the testers attitude.

I've had Jackie, our local CT man look at the car and he says he'll pass it if I want. I even asked him about not having a mechanical handbrake but a line lock. His response was that he would ask me to apply the handbrake. If the rear wheels had sufficient stopping power and the brake lights weren't on he'd be happy with it.

I just love the French.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven toThe French Blatting Company Limited

Norman,

Just back from the DRIRE. 😔

Despite my car being similar to a French Version (on the exterior). Basically, with a Fresh CT, and all other documents, I now have a 7 page document to fill out. After that, I still need to go to UTAC and do some tests at a cost of approx. €1500.

The attitude was poor in my opinion. It was a case of you have a certificate of non conformity, so therefore the rules state you have to go to UTAC.

Every part he looked at on the car was e-marked, so I fail to see the problem.

What annoys me, is that you cannot get a Certificate of partial compliance, after all, I have the same engine/gearbox, brakes etc. as a French K series Caterham, so it must be partially the same? Major difference is the chassis (apparently!).

Anyway - UTAC:

You arrive, hand over the keys and sit in a room while they do a day of tests.

The 5 I need are:

Noise (French Caterhams are homologated at 84 db at 4,500 rpm! - A challenge!).

Electromagnetic interference.

Emissions - did I not do that last night? *confused*

Rear view mirror tests.

Braking - Is this not in the CT either? *confused*

At the end of the day, you leave Paris with no idea if you have passed or not.

If not, you need to do the modifications, and then go back!

So, anybody know of a good cheap rear exit exhaust?

I have the 7" VHPD race can and a catalyst, seems pretty quiet, but I reckon an extra box under the fuel tank will do it!

The caterham one seems to be for the internal 4-1 manifold.

*idea* I may pop across to the French foreums and see if anybody has one I can borrow....

Only dead fish go with the flow....!

That's the scenario I've been told about. I'll carry on running mine for 6 months in the UK and 6 in France thereby keeping UK plates.

Only problem I have is getting a UK MOT which always occurs when the car is in France. If you see what I mean.

Back to Dover next Wednesday, weather permitting.

By the way, did you have to go to Paris for the last test? Wasnt there a centre nearer to you?

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven toThe French Blatting Company Limited

I did the Controle Technique down the road.

It is the Reception Titre Isolee (RTI) that I need to go to Paris for.

I was told today I have to go, so need to make an appointment, which usually is three weeks from the date of request.

The good news is they did not spot the inboard suspension, Emerald or Jenveys! *biggrin*

Only dead fish go with the flow....!

Now I sadly have my thinking cap on

Noise

Well now how about the 7 users who need to comply all chip in and buy one system

that strangles the engine , gets you through the annal test and is them removed , stored ready for the next test

I would never suggest that this could be done in the UK with a standard 7 zorst in the Midlands for instance or that the one I had in my garage had been fitted to a few 7s

I just offered a try before you buy service . Unfortunatley most trials eneded up with the poroduct being returned a few days later

I drink to make you seem intresting