Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

1.4K swap for 1.8 VVC

MartinS

Hi all,

I'm looking swap my existing 1.4 k-series SS for a 1.8 VVC that has turned up. Both engines are EU2, I currently have an apollo tank and a vecta immobiliser, type-9 5 speed box and a normal exhaust with cat. I understand the engine comes complete with ecu.

Is this a straight swap out, or should any of the above cause problems?

Cheers

M.

-------------------------------

Martin Saunders

ohh, is it upgrade time? :)

Martin

I think you will need the engine wiring loom for the VVC also, as your 1400 ss loom wont be compatible with the non stepper motor throttle body on the VVC and the ECU.....but I expect someone will be along shortly to correct or confirm.

I found it an easy swap by fitting a non VVC 1800 ss and retained all the induction/ wiring / ECU from the 1400, changing only the injectors. There are a few other minor modifications necessary, do a search as there is loads on this in the archives.

Malcolm

the 1400 injector wiring loom is also different
. It is.........been there done that, however any competent auto electrician ought to be able to sort this out.

So you will have to do some re-wiring, not only to get the injection working properly but also the VVC mechanism as well.

Have a look here for wiring diagrams etc.

Thanks very much for the replies, I was hoping because it was EU2 it would be pretty identical. I'll do more searching :)

Thanks again

M.

Martin Saunders

• Leadership Team

There was an article in Low Flying some years ago about this conversion - Peter Carmichael was involved so may be the person to ask? Quite a number of us have converted 1400SS cars to 1800SS using the standard wiring and 1400SS mems, but going to VVC is completely different due to the ecu change needed to control the VVC mechs. IIRC the additional changes are mainly to do with the wiring and making mods to the top of the plenum to enable it to fit below the line of the bonnet.

Stu.

I have done this. E-mailed someone the 1400 wiring diagraqm the other day (from the handbook). It was a pain but achieveable. I am no electrician but have some understanding of electronics. HAppy for you to see how I did it if you want to look at my car. Issues were:

You need a 1600 rover flywheel (or a lightweight one - the 1800 from the rover is too big)

obvious mods to the engine to fit in a caterham

Splicing the wiring looms toegther. I used the engine loom from the VVC and added one (or maybe two) wires to the loom to be able to connect the systems together.

You also need a lowered OS engine mount - I have my one you can buy for beer money if you like - I have a pace dry sump system now which replaced it.

Also some issues with height of the engine

I think those were main issues.

You 'll also need the 5AS and wiring for it (plus plipper - not your old one)

Do a search as I think I replied to one like this before - try searching VVC and kevsta

LEt me know if I can help

Oh, and don't forget to block the vacuum pipe from the manifold - I did and everytime I started it it just kept reving!

Kev

Thanks very much for the tips guys, I'm not sure if you saw my post in wanted but due to lack of time and general skill I need this to be eeeasy! :) VVC doesn't sound like the way to go.

Might keep looking, but this time see if I can find an ex-Caterham non-VVC EU2 engine with matching ECU, which hopefully will just be a drop in replacement..?

Cheers!

M.

Martin Saunders

If I did mine again I would do that, not put the VVC in, great for the road but I do track days in mine too and the mechs don't like it and they are not cheap even if you source ones going spare. I'd not probably look to do an 1800 conversion and put a DVA head on with some better cams and exhaust (have done the xhaust and it made a big diff since I have had some head work by DVA and a hotter exhaust cam). Would have been cheaper too! You live a learn, have a good engine for changing to solid cams when I can afford it though!

Best of luck with it and I think you are making the right choice.

Kevin