Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Gear drive?

Peter T

Is any one out there running a gear drive cam? If there is can you please let me know if A- there are any benefits in performance, B- noise, C- reliability< and is it worth the expense, considering the extra weight of the gear drives?

C7 PWT X-Flow all Steel

Life begins at 40(00rpm)

Are we talking Crossflow?

We have several customers with gear drive (MAE) cams, but it really is a racing thing for greater reliability and more accurate cam timing.

Even in a 7 the noise from the things is appalling. At idle the backlash in the gear train sounds like there is something seriously wrong inside the engine - as if there is a man with a large hammer trying to get out!

From a technical point of view it's great, but probably not worth it from the cost and noise point of view on a road car.

most bikes have now moved over from gears to multi-link chains to reduce noise, might be worth investigating if you feel you need to move to something more substatial than a kevlar belt. Not sure how much benefit you'll get compared with the cost.

X-flows are chain driven already, there is no timing belt. IIRC, they use a double chain arrangement which are similar to bicycle chains (duplex chainquestion.gif).......Can you fit HyVo chains to 'emquestion.gif

Strange!

I've had a number of Honda VFR's with V4 engines which have gear-driven cams. True, it was a move due to reliability problems with the early chain-driven VF750 engines, but the racket that came from the gears would suggest that it's not an option for increased refinement. I believe the latest Honda VFR(800) has gone back to chain-driven cams.

Just throwing in my tupence's worth...