Click here if you are having website access problems ×

13 over 14 wheels

del boy

I am just about to change my tyres and want to know what advantage there is in changing the wheel size from 14 down to 13 inch. is this a power thing or is the differance not noticeable.

also is the cost about the same?

Derek

Hoopy, as someone who has absolutley no experience of buying 13", is that right? I thought that often 13" were more (less numbers?)

Anyway, I think the advantage is lower unsprung weight on the Superlights.

teeth.gif21,000 miles in less than a year! cool.gifthumbsup.gif

Hoopy is correct IMO.

13" rubber is cheaper than 14" by and large and there's more choice of sticky stuff.

Handling is improved, though subtly and the rubber choice will make the bigger difference.

I moved from 14"s to 13"s 2 or 3 years ago. You won't regret it.

Have both. I've got 32rs on 13" for summer and 21rs on 14" (they came with the car) for winter / touring. I use my car all year and although the 32rs are great, I wouldn't want to HAVE to have them all the time - standing water can be a bit "trouser-changing".

Just to throw my 2p in, I'm back on 14" after trying 13" for everyday use. Given that I'm pretty much happy with the A021R tyres and don't fancy changing, and don't have enough power to need bigger rear tyres, these were my reasons:

13" - Better gearing from my CR gearbox, lighter, but just too low for the sort of roads I go on. Did serious gouging to my sump during the trial.

14" - Look better filling the arches. With the 13" I would have ended up shortening the cycle wheel stays. Half inch extra under the sump. Couldn't tell the difference in handling between the two.

I have however got a set of 13" for the track though.

Dave H.

I have to say that having seen my Seven (DD) alongside a v. similar car except I have 13" AO21r's 60 profile & he had 13" AO21's in 70 profile the sump clearance was a lot more different than I'd have expected!

70's look huge now in comparison, but they are substantially cheaper from Mr Polley than the 60's!!!!