Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Good place to buy imperial hex bit sockets?

Shad

I don't really want a whole set, just a 3/8" AF hex bit on either a 3/8" or 1/2" drive. I've found a couple of online places that stock individual sockets but they're a bit expensive (or maybe I'm just too tight).

Any suggestions of where to buy? Could be tempted by a 7/32" socket as well.

Simon

niknak.org

Hah. I've tried this one before. You'll get a whole bunch of "why don't you try XXX, YYY, or ZZZ" from people who haven't bothered to check whether XXX, YYY or ZZZ actually stock them.

It's not easy. SnapOn will sell you a set for the price of a medium-sized terraced house, or individual ones for the price of small car.

Cromwell will sell you individual items, but they're not cheap either. The usual culprits such as Halfords, Teng, Kamasa and Draper don't do them.

Ah, you see we have a terminology problem. I assume you are after something like this, which I would call a "hex bit socket". Not to be confused with a "hex socket".

Machine Mart don't do them. And you're unlikely to find them at a car bits show - though it's not impossible.

Where did you find them online, by the way? Anywhere other than Cromwell? I've got two from Cromwell, would like to build up a full set.

Edited by - Roger Ford on 2 Mar 2009 23:03:16

The easiest way is to get a 3/8 Alan key and, using an angle grinder (much easier than a hacksaw), cut off a length of the bar and either Araldite it into a 3/8th socket or ram it into a 9mm socket, which will be a very tight fit. Similarly with 7/32 using a 5mm socket. I've made a few like this and there as good as the real thing.

Edited by - Paul Deslandes on 2 Mar 2009 23:31:21

Paul *thumbup* 😬 Plenty of excess on the end of an allen key to chop off, though I usually just get a deep socket and extension bar on an unmodified allen key and use that. If I need torque settings, I can borrow some bits off a mate.

I'm pretty sure Halfords do singles?

John

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 (Back on the road!!! 😬)

Talloulah: '08 1.6K Classic (Grubby )

Roger, I know the credit crunch has affected the price of a lot of things, but I'd like to know where you can buy a 'medium-sized terrace house' for 100 quid, or a 'small car' for 14 quid? *confused*

Craftsman Tools from Sears in the USA - resonably priced and long lasting - and then when they wear out/break/look like breaking, take them back for replacement.

Problem being you have to be travelling to the USA, or know someone who is . . .

Bri