Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cambelt change on a 1600 XFlow

Dirty Den

I was wondering what the recommended change interval is for a cambelt on a 1600 XFlow (Sprint). My car is 6 years old, but has only covered 10.5k miles.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as the belt is a few years old, should it be changed regardless of the mileage?

On a 7 is it easy to do, and any ideas of timescales/cost involved?

Edited to say: If I'm worrying over nothing, please tell me! wink.gif

Thanks in advance -

Den

teeth.gif - Self portrait - still unable to remove the smile!

Edited by - Dirty Den on 2 Jul 2002 12:13:33

Your xflow does not have a cambelt.

It has a short cam chain, but as far as I am aware these last ages, and Caterham built xflows suffer from other issues (pistons) - but I am not an expert!

I'd say you were worrying about nothing!

Greg

Greg, Q 880 RAE (Green/Ali XF)

Greg is right, the chain genrally lasts as long as the engine between rebuilds, in fact i cannot remember the last time i heard of a x-flow chain giving up the ghost!

C7 PWT X-Flow all Steel

Life begins at 40(00rpm)

By 35000 miles the whole engine will be knackered anyway so time then for a Roger King upgrade or better still...... ZEEEEETEC!!!!! teeth.gif

Phil,

What's this about Den buying you a drink? I must have been away from the bar at that moment... not at all like me!

Don't worry Brent, you didn't miss it, not that I am implying anything by that of course wink.gif

btw, I don't suppose you know how much cranking/start-up advance you are running with your Weber Alpha do you? Thinking that might be my hot starting problem (he says, clinging to every chance he sees)

Phil Waters

Zetec is in and running wink.gif

Sorry Phil but I don't know how much advance I am running.

Just a thought though, in order to eliminate or confirm your suspicions before playing with the map, why not disconnect the coil and then turn the engine over when hot. At least if there is no spark and the engine is still reluctant to crank over, you know it is nothing to do with the advance.

Also have you checked out the starter motor itself, maybe something is breaking down when hot?

Finally, why not run the car down to Pete McEwen? I have always found him very willing to help with any problems.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Brent thumbsup.gif