Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Inside corner of tyre rubbing on cycle wing stay

15" wheels with 195x45x15 CR500 tyres. There is clearance between the tyre and the wing stay, but the tyre is obviously moving under load, as it is polishing the coating off the wing stay, and just marking the inner edge of the tyre on the corner.

Is the correct procedure to remove the wings and bend the stay towards the middle of the car, then bend the horizontal part so it is level again ?

What sort of clearance will I need to allow for the movement of the tyre ?

• Area Representative

Ian - I think you've answered your own question - assuming there is no play in the wheel bearings?

Edited to say that there really shouldn't be any movement of the tyre in the vicinity of the wing stay, so clearance can be minimal.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is comopulsory - Growing up is optional

Edited by - Paul Richards on 1 Mar 2009 21:27:28

Had this problem when I first got my car.

Couldn't understand what was making the 'wheel speed' noise..neither could anyone at CC.

Several times the car went back to the factory and after replacing three REAR wheel bearings.. both driveshaft’s and the diff (I kid you not), someone noticed that the front tyre was rubbing on the wing stay. The confusion came because the rubbing would come and go, eventually the penny dropped and we all realised that the tyre only rubbed when it was warm and had expanded a little.

Ian, do you know why you car has just developed this symptom? Have you recently bought new tyres?

Be Lucky!!

Martin

(Solent Se7ens) M7

Mine does it with R888s following the Anglesey prang

I've never had the strength to bend it back, so the corner of my LF tyre always gets slightly shaved. Not enough to worry about or grow bigger muscles for! *tongue*

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Ecosse™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com