Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Kumho tyre set up

DSL

Oh Linda, its a man thing you wouldn't understand *tongue* 😬

The camber setting is the amount of lean inward or outward the top of the tyre has when viewed from head on. A crossply tyre due to the nature of its construction requires very little negative camber circa 0.5-0.75 deg, however a radial tends to work alot better with considerably more negative circa 2.0-2.75 degs.

The toe in or out, is again is best viewed head squatting down in front of the wheels a few feet away & refers to the orientation of the tyres in running direction in relation to each other, a slight toe in setup should promote a less twitchy more stable steering. Where as a toe out setting should infer a better turn in with less mid corner understeer, another benefit being that the tyres are scrubbing slighlty whilst traveling straight, hence promoting additional heat build up to get the tyres up to temp faster *thumbup* *thumbup*

Thanks Darren *thumbup*

I think I understand now though *wink* 😬

So what's the guidelines for the rear settings then? Currently we've got the same toe 'in' as the front but the camber's different and less than 2 degrees ...

The de-dion ears Caterham normally supply for radial tyres are 1.5 degrees negative camber, so as long as you have those fitted you are going to be the same as most of the other class 5 runners. (Unless there has been some behind the bike sheds shaving going on *tongue*)

As for the rear toe, I think a tad of toe in is as its meant to be, again for stability that makes sense.

I did do one event a few years back at Longcross in my R400 that I had fitted some rear toe shims in, giving it some toe out 😳 Now I'm not easily scared by an oversteering car.... but Jesus H Christ I have never been so sideways so fast for so long in all my life. I got out of the car, collapsed into a chair & sat there shaking for the next 10 minutes *rolleyes*

So I would give those a miss if I were you *wink*