Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wheels (Again!!!!)

Grahame W

Despite all the useful info there has been on here in the last few months about split rim wheels I still find I have some gaps in my knowledge and understanding.

Hopefully one or some of you experts can fill in those gaps.

5'' inner and 2.5 '' outer seems the accepted optimum, is there any reason why one cannot go with 3'' outers to give a full 8'' wheel like the Caterham rears?

If it is possible will a 235 fit OK on 8'' at the rear or does rim need to be wider?

Bit of a fair weather mechanic so its this better weather and actually finding the car at the back of the garage behind all the Christmas stuff that has reawakened my interest

Thanks

Grahame

I'm sure an 8" rim made up like that would work Grahame but why would you want to.

It would increase the rear track by an inch and allow an overslung arb to be used. If you're trying to match the standard CC rears when they specified MB wheels they were 6" and 2.5" to make an 8.5" rear.

The 235's would fit OK on 8" rears, Shaun had them on his 8" Caterham 8 spoke wheels but if you're making up some MB rims to suit I'd stick to the standard 8.5" jobs unless you have an overslung bar. Also I think you have to be in class 5 to use tyres that are wider than 215.

Adrian

Adrian

Thanks for the answer, the 235 question was to check whether I could just do a tyre change rather than a tyre and rim change should I ever develop the car into a different class in the future.

As to the why; the smaller inner rim allows fitment onto the front and if it was possible to go same configuration at the rear then you have the convenience of interchangeability of all the wheels

Thanks again

Grahame

• Support Team

As Adrian says I have run 235 Kunhos on Caterhan 8" rears for the last season with no issues but have now changed to split rims.

My new rears are 8.5" with the backdepth the same as the Caterham ones (I have an overslung ARB) and the outside of the tyres are very close to the outside of the wheel arches. The offsets to run wide fronts are different to the rears - if you try to run with the same front and rear wheels you will either end up with the rears sticking out or the fronts fouling the wingstays.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing