Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cost of a 200+bhp K series?

paul jacobs

Mmm ... but no RB TB's, no dry sump, no flywheel, no ECU or wiring loom.

Seem to recall that the going rate for used but 'complete' R400 engines was around 3.5k *confused*

Add a DS, Emerald, and TB's ... and you'll be getting close to 5k 😳

£3,500 was the going rate when there were a number of engines available all at once. Now that they are somewhat more scarce >£3,500 would not be unreasonable ... still cheaper than building one to that spec with all appropriate ancillaries.

That said I don't think the engine highlighted for £2,500, without ancillaries and incomplete, is particularly good value for money .... but would be useful as a spare for those who want the luxury since you can scavenge the bits off your toasted engine.

========================================

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

Paul i've had a K since 97 it started as a 1600SS and it's still in there as a 1900 VHPD DVA screamer.

I wouldn't go that way now as i've been involved in too many 2ltr Duratechs

A straight 2ltr duratech with no mods just an Emerald and a set of Throttle bodies[Jenvy] NOT RBs with a 4:2:1 exhaust will give you 200 and theres plenty more to come

It really is the way to go

Brand new duratechs can be got easily

With 200 you wont need anything done to bottom end STD will be great.

jj

N.I. L7C AR 🙆🏻

Membership No.3927.

240BHP 1900cc K Series 40th Anniversary

Hi Johnty,

The sensible bit of me has to agree with you, but OTOH a cheap 1400 chassis with an uprated 200bhp would make an interesting cheap and easy project. It's just a matter of getting the bits at the right price and the motor is obviously the most expensive bit, and it might as well be the right K series to start with. If I go the Duratec route, it means new exhaust, skin, bonnet, engine mounts, bellhousing, propshaft [probably] and various small bits and pieces which will all push the price up and negate any saving made by using a more standard Duratec.

Paul J.

Waiting to get my CSR back with it's new and remapped Omex ECU

That is exactly what I had in mind Nifty, but starting with a basic 1400, not exactly ending up with the finished car, or to put it another way, not spending quite so much, all in one go at the outset, as this will be in addition to the CSR, not instead of. Having looked at the pictures of Molly, I must say you've done a fantastic job though. Best of luck with the sale *thumbup*

Paul J.

Waiting to get my CSR back with it's new and remapped Omex ECU

Edited by - Paul Jacobs on 4 Mar 2009 22:58:57

It's a very half hearted sale Paul .. especially after I did a trackday on Friday and then got an E-mail to let me know that a sale had been agreed (with another party) on one of my potential purchases.

I shan't be too upset if she doesn't go *thumbup* *tongue* 😬

========================================

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

Edited by - Nifty on 4 Mar 2009 23:35:28