Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cost of a 200+bhp K series?

paul jacobs

I know the subject has been covered before [several times] but I would be gratefull if anybody who has done it, [dozens of you *wink*] could detail what work is needed to an 1800 k series to get the most power for the least money and keep the thing reliable. Cost would also be a great help in evaluating the project too.

The engine I would be starting with is not out of a Caterham, but it comes from a Mk1 Elise with around 30k miles on it. This engine is being sold by a pal for around £300, does this seem about right?

Paul J.

Waiting to get my CSR back with it's new and remapped Omex ECU

Edited by - paul jacobs on 28 Feb 2009 11:57:42

• Support Team

You won't get over 200bhp for much less than that.

Think about the cost of the following:

Throttle bodies

Programmable ECU

Forged pistons

MS2 or VVC head ported

Decent bottom end (Scholar maybe?)

Camshafts

New bolts, gaskets, etc.

4-2-1 exhaust

Assembly by someone who knows what they are doing

rolling road session

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

The block is the cheapest part you can source good secondhand parts and build a 200 bhp engine but you will need some new items. I did it that way and for the parts alone it was about £2500. Add to that TBs Filters exhaust and again if you can find them 2nd hand you are Need another £1500. The engine will then need to be assembled and mapped to include porting of the head and possibly balancing, unless you do it yourself that's another £1,500 - 2,000. Plus and the little things you don't expect but may need, new starter hoses, clutch etc.

Andy

There's a good article in Lowflying Last month and this month regarding a duratec engine conversion on the cheap!! But you will need to read it in full - some funny bits too - worth a read IMHO *thumbup*

And it seems 200bhp duratec for less than 6k

20 IS THE MAGIC NUMBER;-)

Paul,

In a nutshell - it's the same for most engines *eek*

Once you put in forged pistons, cams, tb's, mappable ecu and all the other gubbins, they all end up costing you double what you told SWMBO *redface* - it's £5K for a properly built tuned engine, whether it's VX, K, Duratec or Zetec.

Paul

Depends what you start with....certainly build a 200bhp motor for less than £5K....but then you will most likely need to add ECU - TB's - decent exhaust etc - dry sump etc etc and if you want it to survive forged pistons etc etc It all adds up....just don't tell the wife though.

Have you considered the only real path of truth and enlightenment that is a bike engine? An R1 lump including ancillaries and electrics would be an easy 180bhp, OK not 200bhp, but what you loose in absolute power you make up for in weight. Engine and box probably weigh the same or perhaps even a little less than a k-series engine. Free sequential gearbox too. Also, if it all goes horribly wrong, it will still cost less than a k-series rebuild to buy a std motor and lob it in. I'd strongly recommend trying one of these first before dismissing the BEC option. The whole job neededn't cost more than £3k to do...

BB

Paul - Have a look at DVA's website here and go to K05. You will need to add around £850 to this cost for a decent exhaust (powerspeed etc) and c£300 for a custom remap on a RR (Emerald or Track N Road). It can be done on the cheap, but to get the most our of the conversion you should include verniers and an airbox plus a few more hundred quid for forged pistons (which I am sure DVA himself would recommend to make the engine bullet proof). All this lot should result in anything from 190-205bhp in a 1.8k I think and you should squeeze in below £5k in total cost.

This is the setup I have on my 1.6, which was recently remapped to 187.9bhp at a pretty safe 8200rpm. I could have got more power if I'd upped the rev limit and fitted an exhaust without a cat built in, but in the end I wanted a safe, reliable and hassle-free engine.... 190bhp in a 1.6 is a thing of beauty 😬

C7 DVA - It's a 1.6 187bhp screamer!!!here

Edited by - Richyd on 2 Mar 2009 11:27:06

Mmm ... but no RB TB's, no dry sump, no flywheel, no ECU or wiring loom.

Seem to recall that the going rate for used but 'complete' R400 engines was around 3.5k *confused*

Add a DS, Emerald, and TB's ... and you'll be getting close to 5k 😳

But now another question : what's 'for sale' in this thread ?

😬 *tongue* 😬

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away” Antoine de Saint Exupery

Edited by - Slider@7 on 3 Mar 2009 13:25:30