Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Home brewed sump guard

RichardUSA

After too much thought and looking for $ pre-fab'd units that could be modified I decided I shouldn't press my luck any longer and make something to take a hit below the belt. It sounds a botch job but I took 1/4" x12"x18" white (will likely paint) cutting board and fabricated a sump guard. All of $7 plus a few stainless bits and actually looks official.

I formed two 45 degee angles at the front using a heat gun. Then heated and pressed two pronged 'T' nuts into the front with a ss bolt threaded through to stay attached to the plate. This (the plate) is then attached below and to the center cruciform cross member with 1" ss/rubber clamps attached to the plate with locknuts. (I think this is a good arrangement because an excessive thwack is turned into a rotating force rather than a purely vertical transfer to the frame). The back of the sump is held by a shaped ali bar with a bolt into a vacant threaded opening in the engine block.

Thought some may be interested... Sump guards are a common need so I'm surprised CC, or someone else hasn't come up with a 'universal' kit. Will advise if it doesn't work.... *redface*

BASIC TECH INFO: 2004/9,000 mile Cat w/Zetec SVT, widetrack, DeDion, 5 spd/3.62, 15-CR500's

Dave, I'll take some pics this weekend. Been meaning to set up a Flickr site....In the meantime I can forward to you and anyone else who wishes. An ali sheet seems a good option to me too. I decided on this only because it cuts like butter but takes a hit without blinking. May fabricate one in ali in the future.

Bri. I don't have adjustable platforms and don't know of any other way of adjusting height. Regardless it seems like a guard is beneficial as there will always be something in the road with my name on it. Especially love dodging the semi truck tire bits at night. 😳

BASIC TECH INFO: 2004/9,000 mile Cat w/Zetec SVT, widetrack, DeDion, 5 spd/3.62, 15-CR500's

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...