Click here if you are having website access problems ×

My Nuts Are Tight!

Englishmaninwales

Malcolm,

I found that mine were tight using a new set of nuts and secondhand wheels.

I measured the nut shank diameters and found they varied by a few thou but within an acceptatable range.

I cleaned all the wheel recesses using a brush on a dremmel.

I then layed out the wheels and retried the nuts in the recesses, by trial and error I then managed to find a nut that fitted each recess on the wheels. Some nuts were too tight in some holes.

I have each wheel marked with which corner of the car it fits, and when the wheels are off the car I bag the nuts in 4 self sealing poly bags marked with which wheel they belong to.

Hope that makes sense and helps.

Cheers,

Nigel.

Pretty standard I'm afraid I took a couple of 000th's of the older nuts I had which helped a lot although the later design ones do seem to fit better.

I've also fitted longer studs on the rear wheels which means you can get the nut onto the thread before it goes into the wheel making it a lot easier to get the on.

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Hi,

Make sure the longer studs are not too long for the nuts stopping then from tightening up and seating properly, Had this issue myself and as nuts are tight fit can 'hide' the problem. Three options; shorten studs, fit shorter studs or open up the end of the wheel nuts.

Tony

L7 EVL *evil*

the wheel nuts from Barnby are the correct size but the magnesium wheel centers actually crush down and deform, closing the hole up around the nut sleeve. The Stainless steel nuts from caterham are much better quality and have a greater clearance around the mag centers. I would purchase some of these if I were you.

here is C7 TOP

Taffia joint AO with Al