Click here if you are having website access problems ×

The cost of the first pint you ever bought - and what was it???

The Village Idiot

I don't know the cost - boys have always insisted on buying me drinks!! *tongue*

I remember a pint of guinness cost £1.15 when I worked at the Winchester Bar opposite the Queens Hotel in Cheltenham in 1991. The town's rugby team 🥰 🥰 frequented the pub after their home games so I served a lot of it!!

When it increased to £1.19 it was a right bugger to add up several pints worth in my head 😔

Edited by - WindyCat on 27 Feb 2009 18:21:49

Black and Tan

64p or 75p in the Old Bull in Sonning I know the Rothmans were 58p

I was wearing traditional Bluecoats Sunday robe and thought a "complicated drink" would make me look over 18 *cool*

Leave no more than a footprint, take no more than a photo

Edited by - Delbert on 27 Feb 2009 18:25:11

About 1/3d in the pub in Shepards Market in 1961.

I was 15 but reckoned if I was old enough to work and pay tax I was old enough to drink.

ps In case you're not as old as me 1/3d is 1 shilling and 3 pence. Just over 6 new pence.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven toThe French Blatting Company Limited

It was in Hong Kong as a spotty yoof at a place known to us as the 'bottle shop' about a 15 minute walk from our school. The year was around 1977 or 8 I think..... *confused* I as four at the time *rolleyes* *tongue*

Twas not a pint but a large bottle of San Miguel beer (San Miguel was originally brewed in Macau as part of its Portugese heritage and was only sold on to Spain in about 1979 if I remember correctly).

Suffice to say I actually hated the taste at the time but it was 'cool' to do and yes I succumbed to peer group pressure 😬 😬 *smokin* *smokin*

Its the only fizzy beer I like nowadays (apart from Adelscott).

Dave Ardley. White Xflow with Clams

The Bearded Clams

King Clam Of Clam Hill!

Photos here

A pint of Courage in the Corby Candle which, staggeringly, was in Corby.

It was the sort of pub that, if you ordered a "short" you were branded a pooftah and very likely had to fight your way out.

A "short" was sometimes also called a Cagey.

No idea of the cost, was about 16 at the time.

That was the stuff in the Party 7

Theres a terrible draught in here

Its the Watneys

Then there was Worthington E was there not

and some can carp called Long Life ISTR *eek*

Leave no more than a footprint, take no more than a photo

Does 'Thunderbird' still exist? We used to live on the blue/red labelled stuff when I worked at PGL Hillcrest in 1988

Blimey! just remembered we were one of the PGL centres that featured on No Limits with Jenny Powell way back when ... happy days *smokin*

Gatton Arms Redhill (next to Redhill Tech college) 1974 - a pint of light and bitter was 17p. Big trouble when they wanted to put it up to 18p - but we soon realised that our boycott wasn't going to make any difference, and we were getting thirsty anyway. Think Mild was 11p per pint !

edit - the reason we drank 'light and bitter' was that you got almost a pint and a half at friendly pubs, where they all but filled the pint glass, then gave you the bottle of light ale. Stingy pubs poured the bottle of Light Ale into the pint glass, then topped it up with the bitter *nono*

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 2 Mar 2009 16:16:41

[all misty-eyed] Gosh, it had competely slipped my mind... Flashback to 1983 and a Courage Best in The Anchor in Maidenhead 🥰. I haven't a clue about the price, though. [/ame]

"THE ANCHOR" is still there (just), the only building in the whole terrace that is not boarded up. I may occasionally be found therein *tongue* though it's a weeeee bit rough 'n' ready *eek*. I wonder if the missing letters in the name were taken as a keepsake by someone called Ena *confused*

*arrowdown*

*wink* nothing...

*arrowup*