Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Tintop - broken coil spring

Terry Field

This seems to be an increasing problem. Ths garage have diagnosed a broken spring on the O/S/F of my Saab 9-3 (18 months old and 30k miles). They can't fix it until Monday, but refused to let me drive it on safety grounds(understandably).

Fortunately it is still under warranty

Guess I'll have to drive the 7 for a few days 😬

Terry

1700XF - Team Lotus with flares.

Had to have BOTH front coil springs replaced on my tin top (Merc) this morning and one had only been replaced 15,000 miles ago. Local garage say they are having to do loads lately. Not surprising if you look at the state of the roads round these parts.

Reg Marjason

Silver 1800 K-series Roadsport C7 SEV

www.marjason.co.uk

• Area Representative
Friend's citroen had this happen last weekend and ruptured the OSF tyre. Fortunately he was going very low speed off a roundabout. He put the (brand new) spare on but hadn't realised the coil spring was broken and a mile later his spare is now scored so badly its scrap too. The car is under warranty but I wonder whether they will cover the tyres too - I doubt it. Oh, he's got a week long wait to getting it fixed too. *confused*

Big problem these days with a lot of cheap springs when they don't end in a properly finished off coil that is flattened. When the weight of that corner of the car is sitting on an unfinished coil, all the weight is on a point - which snaps off eventually.

Also, understand that speed bumps nobble a lot of springs - too many shock loadings. Rear of BMW particularly suspect apparently.

Happy to say that my 2cvs 27 year old springs are doing just fine 😬 plenty of speeding over speed bumps, abuse 'off road' down the track to my house, and ferrying half a football team about 😬 Still on original dampers too 😬

Seven isn't quite so old, but no problems yet...

The only problem we've had with any of our cars are with wishbones and steering arms, and even then only on Peugeots. Seem to be a weak spot, they apparently don't like bombing down dirt tracks or launching off ramps?! *confused*

John

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 (Back on the road!!! 😬)

Talloulah: '08 1.6K Classic (Grubby )

Have my own garage business in East Sussex and am amazed At just how many broken coil springs we replace. A lot of BMW rear coil springs sit in a recess in the top suspension arm and are not easy to see- i usually run finger tips around lower coils to feel broken coil. Also a lot of Ford Focus/Mondeo front coils break and cut into tyre walls and thus more expense! As has already been said- not surprising with the state of our roads!

Sussex Swede R400

My Pug 406 TDi Estate has had 3 new front road springs in 6 years. The garage told me that 406s do break them periodically and advised me strongly to use Peugeot replacements and not cheap alternatives. I imaging this is for the reasons already stated.

I believe that you can claim for repairs from your local council if pot-holed roads have caused damage to your car. I suppose you'll need photos of the offending hole? Anyone had experience of doing this?

'Have you any idea what it's like to have the wind rushing through your hair!' (Quote:Sq Cdr the Lord Flashheart)

A couple of years ago a builder was doing work on the house , parked his van on the drive one day and it dripped oil much to the other halfs anoyance.

Told builder he best put something under the engine next day to avoid reoccurance .

Following night i came home and oil stained cardboard left on drive *rolleyes* Went to pick it up and put it in bin only to find part of a coil spring on the drive .

Took it in side and told wife who immediately decided it was builders cum uppance for oil incidence .

Told builder next day but no evidence of a problem on 15 year old transit .

Two week later took BMW M3 in for first MOT , Failed 🙆🏻 broken rear coil spring . *eek*

Today, getting 2 rear coils on a Volvo C70 replaced. 50,000 miles. Garage says speed bumps are the issue; advises slow up to the bump and slow off too. All too easy to race off them and have the back end take all the thumping.

Too many of them where I live. *mad*

Alex McDonald

Loud, louder, loudest...