Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Ohhh it's getting close now!

Al Duncan

We are due to collect our Kit the week ending 02.08.02 smile.gifand im currently trying to sort out a Hire van for the occasion.

I know that caterham use a Luton van, but I can source a long wheel base Merc Sprinter more readily, can it with some careful packing take the whole Kit or should go looking for a Luton.

The payload of the sprinter is actually higher than the merc luton due to the lighter weight of the van itself .

But will it all fit?

Cheers

al

• Area Representative

Hi Al,

Not sure about the sprinter but I do remember picking up a new kit in a Renault Traffic I think. I mentioned on the phone to the hire company that I was picking up a spaceframe chassis and various boxes and would the chassis fit in okay... off he went to check, presumably with tape and returned with "No problem, mate!"

Off to Caterham next day and could I get the chassis in, could I bugg*ery. They had measured across the diagnonal and the car (fortunately!) came back with plenty of packing under the spare wheel carrier and propped on its boxes... mad.gif No damage but a round trip from Stoke is a damm sight closer than one from Renfrewshire if it doesn't fit. Get the luton and have no problems...smile.gif

HTH

Nick

Al

As Nick says it is the length that is critical ( or was it Mae West?)

I cannot remember the overall chassis length but Caterham will tell you. I ended up phoning round all the hire firms and only found one, a local independent, who had a van with a load bed suitable. It was a Merc but unfortunately not the Sprinter so the journey home was a bit slow but it didn't matter cause my new 7 was in the back!

One bit of good advice I received was to take an industrial roll of bubble wrap with me - just wrap up the chassis and no worries about scratching the body!

Cheers

Iain

Hi Al

I too am having my kit delivered in a couple of weeks, and I seriously thought about going the self collect route. However weighing up the hire and petrol costs it was cheaper and more practical for Caterham to deliver it.

I admit that Bedfordshire is nearer than Scotland I can see your point, but I think anything other than hiring a Luton Van would be pushing it a bit. Must use a fair drop of petrol as well. Good luck anyway.

Caterhams policy must have changed then, when I bought my kit back in 97 they would not let me collect the kit said they had too many problems with customers turning up with the wrong sized vehicle and claims of damage. It cheesed me off a bit having to pay £229 for delivery. However when the nice chap delivered the car sorry the bits, he spent time and helped me set it up on the axle stands gave me some usefull advise on assembley, this changed my view on the delivery charge, I now feel it was a reasonable charge for a good service. Top marks Caterham.

Ju got his SLR delivered and as well as saving us time collecting it, he also got a lovely Caterahm liveried wagon parked on his drive for a couple of hours! smile.gif

The delivery chap was most helpful giving aid unloading and putting the frame on stands etc. The advice he gave saved us a lot of mither too. Definetly worth the money considering the price of van rental.

Ju's shotgun hopefully... Please Ju! ;)

Caterham wanted £510 to deliver to us. The cost of a luton for two days would be £125. Even if you double that for Diesel (Lutons don't half drink a bit) it makes caterham look a bit on the hefty sideblush.gif

Iain the bubble wrap is lying waiting, Ive had it for ages, new it would come in handy.

Al

(As tight as a Crabs ar$e)

Edited by - Al Duncan on 2 Jul 2002 17:50:01