Click here if you are having website access problems ×

xflow exhaust. swap to side exit.

kenny.

Guys, I've the rear exit system at present as PO said he found it quieter for his track days.

I want to convert it to side exit.

Cut and shut looks a possibility....anyone done that?

Or, has anyone got the bits to convert lying about please.

Mines 4-2-1 so a 4 branch collector would require bigger aperture in body which I don't fancy cutting 😳.

I also can't see threaded hole where side exit bracket fitted on my previous 7's.......may this still be hidden under the skin?

Many thanks,

Kenny

Edited by - kenny. on 25 Feb 2009 18:43:09

Hi Kenny,

I haven't converted as such; my car came with a side exit and four branch already, but I also have a spare rear exit system (also came with car) which I admit, does look quite easy to convert. I've kept it as a spare for just so maybe later on, but if you don't fancy butchering your own system (and buggering it up!), I'd be happy to sell you it.

Go on, just be brave! 😬

Les funnily enough I went into garage to look at car last night. I may be getting mixed up. The bracket that holds my exhaust to body (just past silencer) seems closer to the wing than on my side exit cars..........but now I'm thinking maybe it's the same for both.

Do you have any other bits in your garage that may make a trip up to the lakes an excuse for a Sunday tintop blat *cool* (and I don't mean old paint cans and broken hoovers) 😬

Kenny

Edited by - kenny. on 26 Feb 2009 08:25:59

I looked at doing this last year. The side exit can has a different diameter than the straight through, but the mount point looks to be the same place. Certainly, the side can wouldn't foul the wing. The mount on mine is just forward of where four chassis tubes join (I stripped the inner panels off last year, so I've seen the guts of the thing!).

Burton do various stainless exhaust diameter converters, so I don't imagine it would be too much effort to convert. The downside is cosmetic; my straight through has a join midway between the 4-2-1 collector and the silencer, and the side exit would require another join about a foot further back, with a different diameter. Could look ugly.

Added to say; if it's a bolt hole further forward than the wing you're looking for, there isn't one on my 93 chassis, and I wouldn't use it anyway even if it was there as the whole exhaust would be pretty stiff and inflexible on 2 mounts.

Alex McDonald

Loud, louder, loudest...

Edited by - alextangent on 26 Feb 2009 09:18:35

Kenny, I have quite a few bits and pieces lying around my garage, some may even make it back onto my Cat! You're welcome to pop up sometime (especially in your 7), but you may get roped into getting your hands dirty! Any advice is appreciated!

Cheers

I have a side exit silencer fitted to my car.

Was originally a rear exit with 4-2-1 manifold. I bought a side exit silencer from CC and an adaptor pipe, I'm pretty sure, from Redline.

Adaptor allows fitment of the side exit silencer without the need for a new manifold. The silencer mount is just in front of the rear wing and I've had no problems with fouling or ill fitting.

Hope this helps.

Neal.

Kenny.

I have a 4inch diameter side exit silencer I don't use. It's been hanging in my garage for a few years now. I changed to a larger diameter for track days a while ago. Your welcome to it if you want to pay the P&P to get it to you. It is in good condition as it was always polished.

I also converted from rear exit and cutting the larger hole in body work was quite easy. I used a couple of different size flap style sanding wheels in a drill. You can get the sanding wheels in halfords £5-6. I did this on a painted car and was fine. Very neat. Just keep moving the wheel back & forth so as not to wear a grove in the sanding wheel. As for the mounting hole, I'm sure it will be under the skin near rear arch.

Gary

Superlight R'66 GMS 'Flying Very Low'...

Kenny

Sorry to 'high jack' but if you are not interested in Gary's offer would you mind if I contacted him 😬

Gary - I don't want to tread on any one's toes but if your exhaust is going spare I could use it as I have the 'standard' rear exit on a 89 X/flow.

Please let me know *wavey*

Richard

Gary,

That would be absolutely great if you don't mind......top man *thumbup* and many thanks.

I'm sure I should be able to graft it on after reading Neals post.

Many thanks again mate.

Kenny

PS Sorry Richard

Edited by - kenny. on 27 Feb 2009 12:25:34