Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Stack MPH setup

Julian Thompson

Start off with the sensor in your hand and find out how near it needs to be to a ferrous object to work. Around 5mm should be a good start. Then try to gague this distance when teh sensor is in its holder. If you are using the holder which bolts on with the brakes, then the tip of the sensor at a minimum needs to be showing. It is also position sensitive. when in position spinning the wheel should register some speed. this also helps to avoid winding the sensor too far through and teh bolt heads removing the tip of the sensor.

Stack use an inductive proximity switch from ifm electronics, type IE5238. According to the ifm catalogue the sensing range is 2mm for non-flush mounting. I used to run mine at less than 1mm.

Your problem is certainly that the sensing range is too large. Are you looking at the bolt heads that hold the disc to the hub? If so then there is virtually zero lateral movementof these bolts so you can run the sensor virtually touching the bolt heads. If you are looking at prop shaft bolts or whatever then there is some movement so you must be a bit more careful as the prop will move with the engine. Personally I'd change it to look at the front wheel bolts.

There is an LED on the sensor. With the dash powered up when you spin the wheel the LED on the sensor should flash on when each bolt head passes the sensor, no LED then you will get no speed reading.

Julian

I have the same Stack setup as you, the gap needs to be small to work properly, a few mm at most. As said, there is no lateral movement to bother about so although you'd think it a potential problem, it's fine.

1650mm is the circumference istr for R500 wheels and CR500s. Caterham preset the Stack to 1700 I think, makes the R500 that bit quicker smile.gif

Julian,

Counts a bit dumb and didn't read the question, not that he'd know as this is another bit of his car I built. You need about 1mm between the head of the sensor and the disc flange bolts.

Circumference settings are 1655mm for ACB10 7/21/13 and 1657 for CR500 175/55/13 as checked with GPS 20 -139mph (ran out of road!)

R500's go 3.198551599% fatser than my car at any given speed as they seem to set the CR500 dia at 1710mm!

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM siteid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Julian,

Pressing buttons 1 & 2 together puts the unit in setup mode, then mess around a bit and you will soon find how to change values and scroll.

The firmware on the Stack unit controls what sensors are configurable. You can configure anything in the setup menu's but if it does not appear as a menu option you need a firmware upgrade which is likely chargeable.

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM siteid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Julian

You can fit options to your Stack unit, I have a mail from them I'll forward to you from my other PC. There are a range of options you can add right up to the full data logging nirvana.

You can download the complete Stack manual from the web and a summary is also in the owner's manual (although it's a very poor summary) I have the complete documentation if you can't find it.

I'm pretty sure I can read btw.

I'm pretty sure there's a limit to the inputs.

So, for instance, if you go for what could be regarded a full road set up (fuel level, pressure (50GBP extra) and all the other stuff) you have to do without other goodies (say predictive lap times).

I have a Stack manual at home if you want me to scan it/copy it for you, but it's not that hard to work out.

As FA said, 1&2 get you in set up mode.

Button 3 scrolls through editable options. 1&2 then act as "up" and "down" keys for the item to be set and button 4 quits set up mode.

Holding button 1 then gives you tell tales for the screen you're on. Holding 1 and pressing 4 resets all tell tales. Holding 4 resets your trip meter (on a road dash) and I think 1&3 changes the speed reading to km/h.

Let me know if you want the manual etc.

What screens do you have at the minute?

I'd love one of you to e-mail me the manual - RIght now I have MPH, odo (000000.00 at the moment!!!) trip and fuel, then you fiddle with the unmarked (!) buttons and get oil temp, pressure, water temp, LAP (but this wont work becuase there is a suspicious dangly wire marked "LAP" under the scuttle.....) and fuel pressure also shows 999.99 which is obviously not working either.

I have another dangler marked "temp" which I suspect is external temperature.

Other than this I know less than nothing about it all! - apart from, obviously, the fact that you can sit behind it in the garage and make childish noises. Then take off your steering wheel, clamber out in disgust as you look round at the crowd....................

sorry. Got carried away.

I rang Stack today to ask some questions about the dash in my new car and I must say that they are extremely helpful. Many of the alarms etc are preset for the Caterham but for 100 quid you can have the firmware upgraded which will let you play with them to your heart's content.

If you don't have the full manual the 82 page pdf file on the support page of their web site is worth a download.

Martin

I'm not saying you're wrong Martin, but I'd be surprised if Caterham supply a Stack dash without configurable warnings....??

It looks like it's an 8130 dash which is very similar to mine. If I remember (I'm out drinking heavily tonight) I'll dig my manual out tonight/tomorrow and will mail you the various bits.

Couple of things Julian:

1) The Stack reads high (oil and fuel pressure anyway) when the connection to the sender is dodgy. Worried the hell out of me when my oil pressure started reading 427, 658, bounced around a bit then settled on 999 psi. Reseating the spade connectors on the sender sorted that, and I suppose if you've yet to connect it up to a sender you'll get the same.

2) The button you fiddled with that brought the other layers/screens up (e.g. oil temp/pressure) was button 3. So you can mark that now smile.gif Trial and error pressing two buttons together (apart from this one) will give you 1&2 as noted in my post. This will pop you into set up mode (unless Caterham provide a non-user configurable system, but I doubt this as noted above). I don't think 2&4 pressed together does anything, and 1&4 just resets all tell tales which isn't a problem on an as yet unused dash, so you won't do any harm.

3) Do you have a volts reading next to fuel pressure?

4) The "lap timer" on mine (as it came out of the box, not from Caterham mind) is in essence a stop watch with split times. i.e. you use buttons 3 and 4 to count/time your laps etc. I suspect that the "LAP" wire will be for if you get the unit upgraded to beacon timed or maybe predictive lap, but could be wrong on this. If I'm right though this wire will be redundant unless you buy some additional gear from Stack (I believe the pukka lap stuff adds about 1k onto the dash, maybe more).

Feel free to drop me a mail if you like and I'll aim to scan the manual tomorrow.

Wait until you have to calibrate the fuel gauge. What fun that isn't.