Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Image Wheel weights

Shaun_E

• Support Team

I know everyone is interested in what things weigh so, for the record, I thought I'd stick my new Image wheels on the scales.

They are 13" Billet 4 style 3-piece wheels with billet aluminium centres and spun outers.

7.5" = 5.0kg

8.5" = 5.2kg

I guess not amazingly impressive for split rims but lighter than many wheels and the centres are pretty solid.

Image do an extra light weight wheel - Billet 93p - which did tempt me but, given the abuse my car gets, I decided against it.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

• Support Team

I have to say I am a little bit disappointed but it's not a bad weight.

I wanted to get CXRs but couldn't get the offsets I required. Split rims were the only way to get the size and offset I wanted and I wasn't keen on having magnesium wheels with all the maintenance required.

The Image wheels look fine and I have had the centres powdercoated and the rims anodized (all in black) - hopefully they will stay in a reasonable condition without having to be polished all the time.

• Support Team

I had them specially coloured "brake dust black" so that you can't tell they are dirty until you pick them up and put them in the back of your car 😬.

• Support Team

In CXRs I was looking at 8" fronts and 9" rears but with standard width wings and an overslung ARB. It was the fronts that were a real problem with the offsets but even the rears would likely have been an issue with the range of offsets available.

The wheels I have bought are 7.5" fronts and 8.5" rears as that is what the other Carlos Fandangos 😬 have and I knew they would fit if I kept the standard Caterham backdepth. Image could build wheels with the correct backdepths so I went for them. With the 235 rear Kumhos the clearance from the rear wing looks a bit tight but should be OK.