Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Temperature Gauge & Sensor on K

Geoff Wilcx

Is the water temperaure gauge on a K driven by the sensor on the water rail (pipe).

I'm assuming that its the sensor with 1 connection and the other sensor ( 2 wires) next to it feeds back to the ECU.

Does the sensor for the gauge earth through the engine - reason for wanting to know it that be gauge reads 0 when switched to water temperature yet when swithced to oil temperature then I get a reading.

just dosen't feel good driving a car with zero showing on the water temp gauge.

Yes - it's the single wire sensor, and earths through the water rail.

To test whether it's the wiring or the sensor, remove the connector form the sensor and touch to the engine or any other earthed point - the gauge should read max (you need ignition on). If it does, the sensor is screwed (They are pretty unreliable, but also pretty cheap and easy to replace). If not, you have a continuity fault between the sensor, changeover switch and gauge

Guy

-----See some pictures of the build here. 15000 miles completed!

• Area Representative

Yes - Water temperature gauge sensor is on water rail with a single wire - it is same as the temperature sensor sticking out of the apollo tank.

Start by removing wire and putting to a good earth. Make sure ignition is on and switch for gauge is over to water. Temperature gauge should deflect straight across to max temp. If it does, it is the sensor or it's earth that is the problem. If not you are looking for a problem in the wiring to the gauge.

Good luck.

Edited to say I must type quicker.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Edited by - Paul Richards on 23 Feb 2009 21:38:13

Sure its not PTFE causing the problem either as I have just tested for continuity from the body of the senser to chassis earth and all is okay...that in addition to earthing the wire to the gauge and gettng Full Scale reading all points to a duff senser....have one on the way so hopefully that will cure.

www.geoffwilcoxphotography.co.uk