Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VX Oil Filter again - not HOF266

Ben Willis

Someone said that now Halfords HOF238 (Renault 4) has been discontinued, they use HOF266 (Renault 5) instead. While the outside dimensions are the same, the threaded hole in the middle is 1mm bigger in diameter. It goes on of course, but is a very sloppy fit - personally I wouldn't risk it.

Cheers,

Ben

The people working on my car tell me they have tried a FRAM PH2874 and it's lose and floppy.

The guy I bought the car from says the filter fitted was Renault 4 one. I had removed and refitted it prior to giving the car to them and noticed nothing unusual. Also, the mechanic that removed it (and presumably threw it away) didn't notice anything wrong.

They tell me they've tried every filter they could and not one fitted properly. Tomorrow they should get the larger thread from Caterham and the filters they have should fit ok.

If this is the case then I guess the HOF266's will fit ok from now on.

Fingers crossed for the filter problem and the "original" problem of noisy tappets. I'll put a posting out as soon as I have any conclusions.

Ian.

How long until the next Ring trip? sad.gif

Steve,

I don't think so because the brand new oil pump had the same thread on as the exising one. Unless this is what you mean by non-standard.

Normally the thread from the old pump would be removed and put on the new, but in my case the two were the same.

I have the old threaded bolts and a used c116 filter and they are indeed lose.

Ian.

How long until the next Ring trip? sad.gif