Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

possble cracked sump

Pat the Plumber

i've hit something in the middle of the road, whilst going over the cats eyes, and a stone or possibly the cats eye itself, at national speed limit, ofcourse.

oil dripping all over the garage floor(tray)

unfortunately the incident happened at the start of the blat, and some 60 miles later.

i checked the oil prior to going out and the level was good, whats the likley hood of damaging the engine.

is it an engine out job.

whats the height difference with a dry sump.

my R400

As long as oil pressure was good, there should be no damage. The sump is unpressurised. An Apollo also helps, as you have a larger oil capacity. How much oil you got left in it now?

As you probably know, you can drop the sump with the engine in the car.

I took the sump plug off an a cats eye, and had enough time to stop in a safe place before losing oil pressure. I noticed the falling oil pressure and turned the engine off.

Any signs of oil pressure loss?

Only dead fish go with the flow....!

Cracked mine a few years back - made real mess of undertray and driveway when I got home - you got nothing to lose by sticking a new sump on - oil filter and filling with oil - if the engine ran okay - good oil pressure and temp then chances are that you have got away okay - may want to think about Apollo for the future as it allows you to run with 1.5lts more oil and prevents against surge......hope it works out okay - as said sounds as if you have.

www.geoffwilcoxphotography.co.uk

Pat, is your Dura R400 dry sumped?

I think it may well be an engine out job, if the pan configuration is anything like the CSR dry sump stuff.

Search for Darren Harrolds posting recently about having to remove / replace his sump on the CSR.

Pat:

Hi Mav, can't post as my subscription has run out. Pats car is wet sumped. This can be replaced in situ. Could also be replaced in situ with the new thin dry sump that we fit to R300 race cars and R500s.

Cheers Mick

Thanks Mic *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

Pat,

I assume you do remember hitting something, and you're not assuming you did because its leaking?

See if you can get the car up on ramps (Or blocks if you don't have ramps) and inspect the sump. Try to see where the oil is coming from. On a K (Not sure if your's is K or Duratec) its normally the front bit of the sump that gets the bash, so look at it closely. Because its leaking so slow, it could be hard to spot.

Wipe it down with a cloth and watch again. It likely won't leak when the oil is cold, so if you have a good bit of oil in it, and the pressure is good, start the engine (Check pressure) and let it run to get the oil warmed up. Keep your eye on it to see where it leaks.

It could just be a bolt that is loose and needs nipped up. If it is, you're best to drain oil, remove sump, clean up the faces and re-assemble. Oil has a habit of continuing to sneak out unless you remove all traces off it before bolting up.

If you suspect it is the sump, drain oil, remove sump and clean it. Make sure its clean and dry on the outside, then fill it with parafin or diesel and watch for leaks. You should be able to find any cracks this way. Mark them with crayon or similar (Pen may wash off if you're using parafin) and then drain and dry.

Just about any workshop in the country will be able to weld it for you, for a fiver.

I wouldn't fit a dry sump just because you bashed it once. I wouldn't spend a couple of hundred quid on a new sump just for a crack either.

Just my 2p.

Willie

• 4 weeks later...

latest development, the sumps off thanks Nigel *thumbup* only to find the offending crack that looks like it's terminal.

thanks to Darren for the engine hoist. *thumbup*

having spoke to Raceline, who said they had one in stock, later phoned to say they were out of stock ☹️ and will now have to wait another week before they come into stock, before they send it out.

just a waiting game, that is torture with all the wonderful weather that we're having

Pat,

You are welcome, at least it did not take us too long to get off, once we had broken the stuck rtv seal that was!!

When will raceline deliver your new one? This week perhaps?

If not have you tried CC as I suggested or even Titan, bt not sure if their duratec uses the same sump config.

I assume you got the Ford RTV sealant for when we fit it back together and a new oil filter and oil of course!!

As mentioned you are welcome to have the blue oil temp take off sender I have, you just need the Stack oil temp sender that plugs into you loom.

Nige.

Nigel

Nigel Pugh - Area Representative - WAGS - Worcestershire Area Group Sevens

R500 CP - New 2008 Duratec R500

This makes interesting reading as a similar thing happened to me a few days ago. Didn't think much of it at the time as all seemed fine but then noticed a small puddle of oil under the car today. I have the Caterham dry sump on my 2.0 Duratec for my R400. Does anyone know for sure if I can remove the sump pan to inspect it without removing the engine? (I see seemingly differing views expressed above.)

Also if not repairable, would this (https://www.caterhamparts.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=2800 be the part? I see it's specified for the CSR which has the 2.3l Duratec, but maybe it fits the 2.0l version too? Probably should just call Caterham I suppose.

Thanks in advance for any help (and apologies for thread hi-jack, but looks like it may (would before I posted) have come to a natural end anyway...)

Chris

Raceline phoned yesterday only to say that they still haven't got any in stock. ☹️

i've had the old one welded but i'm not too sure as to whether it is a long term job.

i've had the 1st exhaust manifold welded too, as that was cracked also.

got the Ford stuff, £16...........for some sticky stuff *eek*

got oil and filter, still a waiting game.

need some advice to connect the "stack" up to the sender, which cable *redface*