Click here if you are having website access problems ×

A539's - to shave or not to shave?

andysteele

i`m finally getting round to swapping out my old CR322's for what appears to be the tyre of choice for Class 1 on 13" wheels....

an old friend who used to complete in the Slick 50 championship in a Mk1 Golf told me all about the benefits of buffing the tyres down a few years back (he used Demon Tweeks).

Is it worth it? since the A539 is still a hard tyre and the car's so light (520kg !) I dont see me taking too much out of them with a few sprints and some road use

If its worth doing, how much should i have shaved off, and can Polley deliver shaved tyres?

Cheers, Andy

1999 VX1600 Classic - andysteele.net - picasa albums - driving in marigolds

Andy

Personally I would not bother getting the tyres buffed or shaved just make sure you have got all the release agent off before the first event. There was some benefit with Bridgestone RE720's as the rubber was softer at about 4mm however, these tyres are no longer available in 13".

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*

• 2 weeks later...

Andy, we use shaved A539s in Classic Graduates (hence Polleys can do them for you...), but its to prevent them overheating in 20 minute races. For a sprint, you want all the heat in them you can, so shaving could be counter-productive *confused* I guess it would give less tyre tread movement, but whether you'd be able to feel this/it have a noticeable effect on the times, I'm not sure.

For what its worth, at most circuits we struggle to match/beat the old lap records set on CR322s - A539s are a much better tyre, but the old 70-profiles went faster than the 60-profile Yoko, due to the gearing I believe - dunno if this applies to sprints as well, where the top speed is usually lower.

Edited by - Graeme Smith on 25 Feb 2009 13:51:43