Click here if you are having website access problems ×

re-siting radiator

Peter Carmichael

I have been toying with the idea of reducing the yaw moment of inertia in the car by trying to move masses towards the rear. Problem is I can't find many masses to move.

The one that looks like a distinct possibility though is the radiator. There doesn't appear to be any reason why it can't be moved to sit just in front of the engine. It might take a bit of ducting to ensure the airflow goes through it rather than around it, but the extra height that bit further back would probably allow you to duct an airbox above the radiator, taking cool air from in front of the radiator, Blackbird-style. The shorter hose runs will reduce the mass of coolant being carried around as well.

If there is any significant ram effect into the airbox, I can see there will be a problem with the engine mapping going lean compared to a static rolling road set up.

I wonder if Emerald would consider developing a barometric compensation strategy for their M3D ECU.

Why don't you just sit closer to the wheel? wink.gif

You could also get rid of the passenger seat and put a fuel tank where it was. This would balance the car laterally and also reduce the mass behind the rear wheels. If it was mounted low down with a ali sheet over it to seal it from the cockpit, it would be no more dangerous than the standard tank. You would lose the ability to scare passengers though!

Alex Wong

alex.wong@lotus7club.co.uk

www.alexwong.net

Home : 44-(0)121-440 6972

Fax : 44-(0)121-440 4601

Peter - I don't think the ram effect is very significant. ISTR that during the brief period when F1's wonderful administrators insisted on holes being cut in the back of the airboxes it made b-all difference (which is why they relented on that rule). I have no data to support this opinion.

Mike

If you reduce the mass of coolant, aren't you at risk of overloading the cooling system - less mass means more work for what's left?

I don't think you should remove the passenger seat (Alex's suggestion) - you wouldn't be able to take people like me on demo rides (Broklands on Saturday). Thanks for that - my eyeballs are nearly back in the right place.

Jonathan

>>>If you reduce the mass of coolant, aren't you at risk of overloading the cooling system - less mass means more work for what's left?

A common misconception. Not much cooling goes on in the pipes (poor surface area to volume ratio) so piping coolant long distances is just a waste of mass. Coolant will arrive at the radiator at the same temperature, spend the same time going through it and leave at the same temperature.

Glad you enjoyed the ride at Brooklands.