Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New Super Soft Kumho's

Simon.Rogers1

I would be happy with banning all supersoft tyres for this season only. "Credit Crunch" blah blah blah.....I have been wondering what the numbers at events will be like as it is this year so anything we can do to help keep costs reasonable can only be good in my view

Edited by - Martin S. on 17 Feb 2009 09:48:20

I have carefully considered the request to ban the use of the super soft compound Kumho tyres however, I am unable to approve this change to our regulations for the following reasons:

all changes to our regulations are considered and approved annually at the Technical Forum;

our championship regulations have already been submitted to the MSA and allow the use of all list 1b radial tyres including the Kumho V70a in all compounds. The use of all list 1b radial tyres is in line with other championship regulations;

it is not practical to change our regulations every time a tyre supplier produces a new tyre which may give a performance advantage. I remember when Stunners became the list 1a tyre of choice requiring a change to 15" wheels plus new tyres, an additional cost of approximately £560.

a number of competitors have already purchased the super soft compound tyres in the knowledge they comply with our championship regulations.

I agree that we must look to keep costs to a minimum especially in the current financial climate however, there will always be developments that improve performance that are permitted in our regulations as this is the nature of motorsport.

I suggest we review this type of request at the next Tech Forum.

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*

Seems a bit of strange decision given that Simon only announced the availbility of the super softs 3 days ago so surely no one can actually have got them yet? sorting out a few returned cheques can't be that hard.

I understand the logic behind it but it does seem a bit unhelpful, we had the 215-235 upgrade last year and now we're going from soft's so supersofts. Whilst I know they are optional, if you want to compete at the top of class 5 there really is very little choice so people are being forced into spending more money which surely was the whole point of banning ACB10's.

If this was mid-season I guess it would be a bit different but the season hasn't started yet.

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Like a few others here, it is a bit of an arse having only recently purchased a set of normal big boy softie's 😳

I had heard nothing of this new supersoft compound until the start of this very thread, have they only been anounced in the last few weeks or something *confused*

It won't really bother me as I am unlikely to get to more than one event this year, but can understand others competitors obvious frustrations *rolleyes*

Let me clarrify.

I was on my way to Ohlins on Friday morning on the M4 somewhere around Swansea at about 9 o'clock. Mel Williams rang me and from the top of a mountain near Merthyr Tydfil he informed me that Kumho had just received a shipment out of the blue of K11 compound V70 tyres in 215 x 13. He did not know how many there were. 235's are expected in at some this year.

Since I was away all day Friday without my cheque book and Mel being a hobby supplier ie no credit card payments he was unable to order tyres that day. Until the cheque is in his hand he does not order.

I spoke to Mark, Adrian and David over the weekend as we were at a management Team meeting. Another competitor had spoken to Mel directly on Friday morning and been told about the tyres (by chance).

I posted on Sunday night about their availability. I paid Mel (he does live local to me) on Monday morning and received my tyres on Tuesday.

I have passed on quite a few cheques already to Mel received by me today.

I could have decided not to tell others! No one would have looked at the small numbers on the side of the tyre. But like many others in this championship I share everything and swap data and offer help where I can. It did not cross my mind to with hold the info.

From now on please send all payment direct to Mel Williams

13 Tawelan

Pontargothi

Carmarthen

SA32 7NQ

That way I am out of the loop.

Simon

Clarified *thumbup* *thumbup*

As for having a pair for yourself & not telling anybody, we know that's not your style at all *smile*

Anyone peddling the older softies, can console themselves with the kudos they will gain if they manage to win without the new improved ultra stickies *wink*