Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lower wishbone damper mount bolt sheared

Shaun_E

• Support Team

The lower wishbone damper mount bolt has sheared on my car. The breakpoint is about half way inside the damper sleeve, so the damper won't come away from the wishbone.

I believe I have 2 options:

1) cut through the bolt between the damper and the wishbone

2) sacrifice the wishbone - take an angle grinder to it either side of the mounting point

Which would you do or is there another solution?

An added complication is that the damper is a Nitron with spherical bearings instead of rubber bushes.

Solution 1 looks tricky as there is very little room - maybe a thin hacksaw blade would fit?

Solution 2 is easy enough but will cost me a new wishbone. If I can't get the bolt stub out I'll need a new one anyway.

Help please!

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

Edited by - Shaun_E on 15 Feb 2009 16:22:49

Two things to try maybe after letting the joint soak in duck oil or 3 in 1 (not WD40 which doesn't penetrate:

1) Drill out the bolt diameter with a very small drill bit and then drive in a hex key of some sort (governed by access possibilities), OR

2) Not sure that this will work due to access diameter but you can get a thread removing tool called a grabbit which works but may be too large a diameter to fit through your bush. Imagine you could easily sacrifice the bush though if this proves a problem.

here

no.6

Or option 3.

Cut through the Nitron ali spacer and sheared bolt in the hope that it leaves a stub that's big enough to get a grip on. That way you save the wishbone but need a new spacer which can't be expensive.

If you save the spacer as per your option 3 you'll strggle to get the bolt stub out.

If you cut it and leave a stub, soak it for a couple of days before trying to remove it.

Adrian

• Support Team

Thanks everyone. I'll take a hacksaw/dremel/angle grinder (whatever fits!) to cut through the spacer and bolt and see what I am left with.

I think Michael has some spare spacers but if not then Mark or Darren I'll give you a shout thanks. If the wishbone is toast then a spare would be great Simon - it's the driver's side - annoyingly the only new one on the car!

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing