Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lightening my 7 ??

Matthew Newton

I've just read 7FAQ ' Lighten my Car'; although it makes sence that reducing the rotional mass is more benefical to 7 acceleration v than reducing the same weight reduction of 'fixed' mass.

🤔My question is: Which is the most beneficial / cost effective option in rotional mass reduction? Wheel & tyres / flywheel / clutch pressure plate / prop shaft / drive shafts or brake discs?

Ali / BRG 1400 SS on the loose! *tongue*

Hi Matthew

Unless you are already running the lightest possible wheel/tyre combo, this is the quickest cheapest most effective place to start.

All the other options require greater amount of disassembly/refitting time, cost and comparitively smaller gains.

To get more from your 1400SS (sweet) non rotating masses are also very sgnificant. The windscreen is an easy target as it is very heavy and also gives a lot of drag.

Good luck in building your super revvy fizzy lightweight low flying machine.

Peter

6SpeedManual *smokin*

*tongue*There's no such thing as too much BHP per Ton 😬

• Support Team

Change to Avon CR500 tyres - this is the biggest step as they are much lighter than Yokos or similar.

Caterham 8 spoke 13" wheels would then be the second step.

The difference between an 8 spoke with CR500 and a minilight with Yoko is massive.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

You can save 8Kg by removing the heater, if you have one. A lightened flywheel saves a bit. Dave Andrews always points out that most k-series have a useless 2kg lump of metal sitting on the front, completely surplus to requirements. As pointed out above, the screen is quite heavy, if you are happy to go aero. I think (stand to be corrected) that Mike Barnby makes very light wheels which come up for sale periodically here.

You can go on for ever. I think Richard Meaden got his Fireblade down to 380kg or something bonkers like that, but you have to start throwing a lot of money at carbon fibre bodywork. As you point out, it's cheaper for the driver to lose some weight.

stephen

Remembering an advert played in Applebees dinery place in the US, at lunchtime, if you shove a hosepipe up your bum, turn on the tap, you can flush out rather a large amount of compacted material . . . a few kilogrammes in-fact . . . *cool*

ALthough I guess they probably wanted you to buy their special kit rather than visit BnQ.

Bri

Hi Matthew,

I have a 1400SS too *wavey*

Following the link to your website, I notice the gallery pic still shows you have the spare wheel and carrier attached? If they are still on there then remove both, I did.

Also consider changing your comfy seats for tillets, they do come up second hand from time to time, remove the carpets whilst you're at it.

I have just fitted an aeroscreen (first drive with it tomorrow), and was amazed at the weight of the windscreen and surround.

None of these things are rotational weight, but would all add up to a fair bit.

Dave *smile*

David Smitheram, Wiltshire (South) AR, 07718 368173.

1400 supersport ex racer