Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Another possible newbie….

Storm2

Hi All,

I have owned a 7 since July last year. The cars a 1.6k 2004 Academy car with no modifications. I have used it mainly on the road and one track day at Rockingham and so far have thoroughly enjoyed the experience 😬. I would now like to learn more about the car and in particular driving it. So seriously considering entering the Speed Championship this year, although due to family and work commitments I will only be able to compete in 5 to 6 rounds.

I have a car and a helmet but what else do I need?

My son may also wish to enter a few rounds, is it possible to share a car?

Many thanks

Paul

I have a car and a helmet but what else do I need?

Fireproof suit, MSA sprint license. MSA website (msauk.org) is quite helpful in telling you how to go about starting out in competition

My son may also wish to enter a few rounds, is it possible to share a car?

Yes. Lots of folk do this. Entry forms specifically allow for second drivers in sprints & hillclimbs.

R

Paul,

Go for it - you won't regret it. My only issues as a novice last year were only getting to 5 rounds, and not winning any silverware (plus extreme sarcasm from certain corners when my obviously faulty gearbox caused me to fluff the occasional change up and I didn't deomstrate my obvious and true potential as a driving god).

You have the right car for the popular and very competitive class 1, depending on tyres. Plenty of info here on tyres - most of Class 1 were on Yoko R13 A539s, I think.

Once you have made your decision, get a license from MSA a.s.a.p. as the event entry forms came faster than I expected (Goodwood must be soon-ish).

There were alot of dual drives - this seemed to work very well.

You need an approved helmet - not just a bike lid. I won't get into the "how much is your head worth" debate, but these aren't necessarily hyper expensive.

I also assume your exhaust has a catalyst - you'll need it.

AB

Paul

Welcome to the world of speed!

There is plenty of useful information on Competitors Korner and in particular these two articles should give you the majority of information you require:

What you need to know

and

Preparing for competition

We run a novices championship where the best 5 rounds count so if you have never held a MSA licence before this is your opportunity to demonstrate your driving talents. Look out for the championship entry form in this months Lowflying and if you need any further advice either post here or give me call (contact details in the front of the magazine).

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*

Edit to correct a spelling mistake *redface*

Edited by - Mark Durrant on 12 Feb 2009 18:36:36

Come and play. Its great fun and the composition is tough. Just watch out for the lot in class 1. no scene of humor and well what more can I say on an open forum. I guess some might have e-mailed you off line telling you to try class 2 or 3. They just take this to seriously.

hope to see you in the paddock. I am in the blue superlight in class?????

David

*rolleyes* Paul - Can I just apologise for the non class oners on here trying to put you off.

Just stick with us in class 1 kid and you'll be alright 😬

See you Monday? when you'll be able to meet me, the Willoughby posse, the Laddie with his whistling wings, "Beware the curbs" Blokko, Maj from the Zoo and a couple of interlopers from other classes.

I'll be in the orange car 😬

R287 Mobile Jaffa Cake- It's black at both ends with a smashing orangey bit in the middle here

• Area Representative

Mike,

If you are going to Curborough, I will try and pop along on Monday to drop yours and Andrew Willoughby's suits off if the weather is reasonable enough *cool*

Cheers

Nick

Back in a BEC! - But trying to get into Class 1...

• Area Representative

Hi Mike,

Yes - I have got a waterproof suit from the bulk buy and I thought it was yours. I think you were dashing off to Brazil (as you do!) and sent a cheque through to me....

Did you collect the suit from the awards ceremony?

Nick

-----

Back in a BEC! - But trying to get into Class 1...