Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

CR322 and AO21s

IKB

Following the thread on the performance of the CDX on Fifth Gear should I change the OE Avons on my 51 VX live axle car to AO21s? I realise that it will change the roadholding characteristics and wet weather handling (not that this bothers me as I am a fair weather freak!) but do the benefits take away something special about these cars? Opinions please *wavey*

John

I would definitely change from the Cr322's as the A021's are a great tyre *thumbup*

You will notice a change in grip(wet and dry)and better handling characteristics, braking will also feel more inspiring

after changing my old car (live axle crossflow )from Avon's the difference was incredible 😳.

ask John (Bio) for his opinion next time he's at Penn *thumbup* he changed and is very pleased with the results . 😬

Mark *wavey*

7 Webshots here R400 😬 pure fun ( more so with Aero fitted )

Caterham put CR322's on the CDX for the same reason they put them on the Academy cars. They have very limited grip but they last for ever. Both characteristics are great for learning the behavior of a car round a track (or car park if you want to perfect donuts!). They are reasonably progressive and, in combination with the LSD on the CDX, will let you get the back out quite easily.

Generally considered a comedy tyre rther than a serious track or even road tyre I'd say.

*arrowup*Graeme.......I think that says a lot about the driver than the tyres in this instance *thumbup* But seriously do you have a view or is your experience limited to the Regulations? PS Probably a silly question as you must get all the Seven thrills you need on the track and leave the sideways chat to us dudes who post on here *wavey*

Edited by - brunel on 11 Feb 2009 13:33:00

I'd say that CR322s and their ilk (Yoko A539s, etc) are actually very good track tyres - they do have very limited grip, but this makes you think about how to drive the car well (in open series, drivers often say they need more power/grip, but actually they just need to make the most of the power/grip they've got). I like to think of it as like a 1950s GP car with a bit more power than grip *smile* Having said that, on the road - on a Seven - they can be quite limiting and a bit to much throttle/steering/brake can see you heading towards a hedge or worse. Yoko 021Rs have more grip (but not too much...) and are probably a much better day-to-day tyre. If I used my Caterham mostly on the road, I'd probably run it on 21Rs... And do bear in mind that 70-profile 21s are much cheaper than 60-profile in 13-inch (£35 vs. £65??).

Brunel,

I made the switch from 322's to 21's a year ago. The 322's were fine but not very confidence-inspiring when you leant on them. It was not that they lost 'bite' early (which they did but that in itself is not a problem) but I was never confident that they would bite again in enough time. I can lean much harder on the 21's: the hold on longer and in my opinion, the slip is far more predictable. Having said that, I can see why 322's would be great track tyres; in fact for the talented driver they are probably more fun (fun, not quick) than 21's 😬. For all this though, I don't plan on switching from 21's.

Regards

Marc

Yellow flares and a X-flow - who said the 70's are over?

Hi *wavey*

Changed from ZV1 to AO 21 last year and the differance is staggering.

Now covered 7000 miles including a european trip in my VX and have 1-2000 miles left on the rears (Fronts ok)

General road performance very good even in the wet

JOHN

I switched to Yoko 539’s from 5 year old 322’s (as fitted to the car from new) after an off at Curborough - really happy with the 539’s apart from sump clearance reduction in going from 70 profile down to 60. I shied away from A021’s because of the mileage I cover (5k pa over the last couple of years, but will probably be nearer 7k this year). I didn’t want to be getting through a set of tyres in less than a year *eek*

Steve - Orange and Black ex Academy - now looking at things from a slightly different perspective.

Blokko, if you're doing that mileage then I presume a fair bit is in the wet in which case isn't the extra cost of A021s justified? I haven't tried 539s, the only "ordinary" tyres I've tried were Pilots *eek* I do go through a set of tyres (or more) a year.

(FWIW Toyo 888s don't give me as much confidence in the wet as A021s and don't seem to last as long.)

TBH Tony, I don’t know whether it is the fact that I have a relatively lowly powered car, or that I drive like a girl (especially in the wet), but on the occasions I’ve found myself out in the rain in the 7 I’ve always felt that the 539’s give me plenty enough grip.

-----Steve - Orange and Black ex Academy - now looking at things from a slightly different perspective.

Until you have to break hard in the wet, then youll hate the A539s!! I had two sets - in the dry they were fine, but in the damp and wet, I had zero confidence in them. I then got a set on used CR500 to try & they were fantastic. Unfortunately these need replacing, hence my interest in this thread!

My 21s also only seem to last a year - maybe 4k-5k...

as per earlier threads i have had real trouble with the middles wearing quicker than outers i.e. pressure too high - and thats already with them down at 15 psi!!

Im going o have to get another set soon!

Also note Graemes point about cost - the 60 profiles are double the price of the 70's!!

I am switching to 7s at the mo....

---

my mind is blank....

Blokko, I'd try some hard braking in the wet on an airfield or something, I had a few moments on ZV3. Finding that the grip wasn't there. A bit scary when trying to get on to the autobahn. I felt that A048 were an improvement in the wet and they are a dry tyre, at the cost of A021 then I'd want those.

I thought I was pushing mine until I went out with DSL in a k series R400, then realised I wasn't *redface* . Since then, I began to drive much harder, even with ZV3 but then found out in the wet in Germany that the hard tyres offer no grip in the wet.

BRG and Yellow nose now with added brooklands

as mentioned above ..... I nearly killed myself trying to do an emergency stop with rock hard "road" type tyres on a Caterham.

There is simply no grip to stop.

sliding around on low grip tyres is one thing but remember that you also have to try and stop every once in a while 😬

and before some smart 🙆🏻 says "ooohhh you should only travel as quick as you can see the road ahead etc etc etc "

well a lorry simply changing lanes right in front of you on a dual carridgeway is not realy to be expected .....

here is C7 TOP

Taffia joint AO with Al

My only emergency stop to date (since I changed from 322’s to 539’s) has been in the dry on last years Monster Blat - mighty impressed how quickly the car stopped (I think if anything has been behind they would have smashed into the back of us). Point taken though re stopping distances in the wet.

Friends Phil & Moira have an identical car to mine running A021’s. If we happen to be in the same location this year in the wet, maybe we can have a go at comparing stopping distances *eek* I would have thought that stopping distances would be shorter than tin tops given the lower mass of the 7? Or does the being lighter work against us in the wet - aquaplaning?

Steve - Orange and Black ex Academy - now looking at things from a slightly different perspective.