Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Doh !, my new rear wheels don't fit :(

GPBox

Advice please...just taken delivery of two new 13x8 8 spoke wheels to fit on my 2001 SS S3........(replacing 13x6) unfortunatly the inner lip of the rim hits the vertical linkage arm connecting to the (I think) rear anti-roll bar?....

any ideas ?

thanks Graham

Thanks just been out and reversed the bolt (with the linkage ball on the end of it) which passes through the rubber bush and now the wheel fits ...although the nut on the end of the reversed bolt is very close the the inner wheel rim....maybe a spacer would be a good idea....where can I get them from ?

thanks Graham

No need for wheel spacers.

Now you have turned the lower ball to the inboard side of the arb, the top mounting can be moved inboard too by fitting spacer washers under the deep hex "nut". This makes the drop link vertical. (Make sure there is enough thread engaged if adding washers.)

Then referring to my previous comment, shorten the drop links by a couple of turns.

Ideally the links should have no load on then (ie not applying any twist to the arb) when the car is in the static normally laden condition (driver + half tank of fuel?). This can be achieved by attaching one side first then adjusting the second side so it just fits into place without loading the arb.

Peter

6SpeedManual *smokin*

*tongue*There's no such thing as too much BHP per Ton 😬

Its not really a question of it being incorrectly set its either set in one of 4 (from memory) positions or not at all (if the drop links are disconnected).

Altering the drop link lengths as Peter described does not alter the setting. The position of the drop link in the holes on the arb sets the tension in the arb. Different positions will either harden or soften the rear end and therefore decrease or increase rear end grip.

Graham

Irrespective of which arb stiffness setting holes are chosen, the arb should still be set up so there is no pre-load on it when driving along in a straight line on a smooth level road. This is achieved by adjusting the length of the links as described above.

The effect of not doing this is that the anti-roll forces will be stronger when turning one way than the other. Whether a very slight inaccuracy in setting is noticeable is debatable, but it is nice to set it up correctly when the facility exists to do so.

Cheers

Peter

6SpeedManual *smokin*

*tongue*There's no such thing as too much BHP per Ton 😬

Call me old fashioned.....but shouldn't wheels supplied by Caterham fit a Caterham

fiar point , but you have to consider that the parts sdesigned and sold today are designed to for todays manufactured Caterham.

The overslung ARB that is causing the issues here was deleted many years ago.

At the time the SLR was using 8" rims with an underslung ARB.

It could also be said - why on earth dont trunions fit a CSR and whay dont lR500 wheels fit a live axle car from 1986 🤔

*smile*

here is C7 TOP

Taffia joint AO with Al