Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Apollo Tank - Fitting

Milesk

I have looked at many web pages on this subject and having now spent a day trying to install and can confirm the pipe solution is craps,

We can get a man on th moon yet the Apollo design solution must have spent all of 5 minutes thinking of this solution.

I have cut away a section of the alternator cover to make access easier, and although I am nearly there its rubbing badley on the engine block casting. I could grind this back but surely you don't have to go top these lengths?

I am throughly pi@**** off - I would welcome any helpful suggestions or if you want to come along a fit it for me *wink*

Thanks Miles

Miles

I agree with you...I was thinking more like 30 seconds thought. If you have the earlier ( larger) alternator you will need to remove the plastic back cover, and run without it. Tighten all of the unions to the sandwich plate before fitting to the car, and grind the corner off the boss on the block.

Then sell the system and fit a dry sump.....

(sorry last comment 's not helpful!) *smile*

M

Thanks for both replys.

I thought I would have to do the filling of the block.

You second point regarding the old but larger alternator is exactly what I have, so that makes sence (I have taken about 1.5cms off.

This solution is to get me through 2009 so you suggestion of dry sump is not far away from the truth.

Winter 2009 I have a new engine coming - Thanks for your replys

Just had to replace one of my apollo pipes as it developed a leak from rubbing on the sharp edge on the block. Got the pipe replaced at Pirtek and set about refitting.

Because of the location I removed the filter housing at the same time to replace the gasket (also weaping - and i dont know if you could even remove the pipe without doing so). Trying to get the lot back together was an absolute knightmare! It took me pretty much 4-5 hours last Saturday trying to find a solution to get the pipes tight on the housing, then feed the pipes through and manage to align the filter housing holes for the bolts.

I ended up as a matter of coarse using the dremel on all the sharp edges and corners of the block to solve the cause of my predicament! I then ended up removing (with the dremel again) part of the black plastic of the alternator. Tried to feed both pipes through - no luck - the outer pipe rubbing on the alternator and not allowing you to get the filter hosuing orientated in such a way as to reattach it to the block. I then tried fitting just the inner pipe alone, and then retrospectively fitting the outer pipe once the housing was tight to the block. This cost me 1 gasket and some gue as it was hopeless - i couldnt get the pipe on! Doh!

Finally I left both pipes off, attached the filter housing with a fresh gasket and lots of gue to the block, I then remeved the apollo tank pipe addition of the housing (a 1'' socket i think was needed), attached both pipes then replaced in the approxomate position. After a while i got the oil fitler threaded insert on the correct thread and slowly nipped it up making sure that it wasn't cross threaded and was parallel to the filter seat of the housing. (I used a bit of gasket gue between the apollo tank attachment and the filter housing as I wanted to belt and brace it!) With that done, the oil filter went on and it was filled with oil.

Took it for a 120 mile blat on Sunday not a weep of Oil from anywhere (pipe or hfilter housing) - for now anyway! *smile*

Hope the aboves of some help and saves someone from a day of misery and lying on their back with their arms in the air! 😬

Cheers,

Mark

Caterham 7 Supersport '98

Volvo S60R 2005 '54

Wanted: Caterham Snow Plow 😬

I spent ages removing the alternator and grinding edges off bits of engine, only to find that there was no way that the hoses were going to go through the gap between the alternator bracket, the engine and the alternator belt. Put it all back together, then simply ran the hoses under the alternator - horizontally off the sandwich plate. This is an SV with the 1.8 VVC engine.